• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proposal for a "World Wheeling" Forum

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I've had a couple of PMs from one of the NAC members who, like me, is more interested in setting up his XJ (only one, poor deprived lad :tear: ) for long-range excursion duty rather than super hard-core boulder bouncing. He asked if it might be possible to set up an area where our members (and friends) in other countries can post pictures and write-ups of wheeling trips and conditions in their respective home countries. As he points out, the current pictures forum is more aimed at "glam" and flex shots of individual rigs.

I like the idea -- any chance we could make it happen? Here's his second message to me:
Well, the way I saw it, the picture section is for rigs. Kinda says that in the description. I was thinking more of a "World Wheelin" section. Post your pics of the rig in the other section, this is for showing the rest of the world what is available in your area and what you and your buddies do. Let us see what you saw. Show us what it's like to wheel in Greece or Norway or the Phillipines. We're a big family here, let's hear and see from all the other parts. Maybe the hardcore rock guys won't care for it much, as I don't imagine there is a lot of that spread around the world. Not all of us like to go out and break parts. We like to use our Jeeps to get places and see things that we may not have normally gotten to see in the time frame we have. Maybe we should
post a poll asking what is thought of the idea? ...

marshall

It could be a good idea.
However, the perception that the current Picture Showcase forum is all "flex and glam" may be because nobody posts other stuff? :confused:

One thing though, if it was to share "exursion" type stuff and images, setting it up like the Picture Showcase forum would not be good. The images are deleted at ~30 days age or so in order to keep the forum database from bloating with pictures. The sort of use you have in mind is not suited to periodic purging, as the information is valid longer term.

A forum catagory like you suggest is worth a shot, but I would say folks need to link the images, rather than attach them. That keeps things managable on this end, while allowing for good post retention.

Surfin' Turkey said:
A forum catagory like you suggest is worth a shot, but I would say folks need to link the images, rather than attach them. That keeps things managable on this end, while allowing for good post retention.

I don't think a linking requirement would be a drawback at all. Does this require BOD blessing to move forward, or can we just give it a shot? Do we want some kind of guidelines, so we don't get a lot of "My afternoon with the guys in the mudpit down the road" kind of stuff?

i second that notion of a new forum category... i already post my trail ride pics online.. but its usually in the chapter page... a link and short narrative would be great for drawing interest for your own "backyard" as well as a place to find your next destination.... whats wrong with "the mud pit down the road" eagle?? action pics are action pics IMHO

mike

NAXJA + international members and info = IXJA (International XJ Association or Intercontinental XJ Association) :)

XJguy

XJguy said:
NAXJA + international members and info = IXJA (International XJ Association or Intercontinental XJ Association) :)

XJguy

I doubt NAXJA is going to change the name anytime soon. We have, and continue to have Internation participation in the forums and on the trail.

I guess I should put my 2 cents into here as I'm the one that started this back channel.

My idea is to have a place where we could post links to "trip" reports/pics that we've participated in, in our area of the world. I realize there is no way that the server could handle pics being uploaded on to it. Links would do fine. One of the Mods would have to contact members whose links fail after a time to keep it clean, but I can't imagine how much other babysitting it would need.

Don't we want to see what it's like to wheel in Greece, Germany, The Phillipeans, Australia or where ever. I can't imagine that others here haven't wondered what it's like when they read posts for help from another country. How many countries were represented in that post about visits? That's what kind of got this started in my head. I know they all won't post. But maybe if items start getting posted about runs in the states others will join in.

I don't think that exclusions like the mud pit down the road would work. We have to admit that XJ's are built by their owners to handle what ever they are going to be put through. If it's mudding, touring, rock climbing, street rodding or racing, it would show what's going on in their part of the world. It's going to be awfully hard to exlude any form, as that may be the only thing available. Maybe it should be "World Gatherings". Should it be only XJ oriented, don't think so. I would imagine that the writer/linker would be an XJ owner or why else would he/she be here in the first place. But how many of us go off on runs with other 4x4's along too. If we set too many rules of content, we may be making a big mistake and kill it before it has a chance to get started. We may find in six months, and I'd love to see this, that it has to be broken into sections like country, state, activity or whatever because of the amount of posts. If there was any guide line at all, I would like to see a requirement that place and activity be in the title.

I haven't played the "Devil's Advocate" with this long enough to have answers to questions that might come up. I also haven't been around the site long enough to understand all the rules that we play by here. Sometimes pics get posted in Chapter Sections or special sections. If they're in the Chapter section, should they not be cross-posted into the World section? If this is about how the wheel in their area then a Chapter run would probably fit right in. Yet cross-posting is frowned upon, so . . .

Alright, so I started this thinking that it should be Trips but have ended up opening it up some. I think it's needed as an outlet and eye opener for all. I can't imagine that Eagle, Gojeep and I are the only one's interested in touring the backroads and camping in tents or seeing what other people are doing. I'd love to know how many hits Gojeep got after he posted that the Tasmania report was on his site. I hope I haven't opened a large bag of worms, but a little one might be ok.

We're the North American XJ Association, but in reality, we welcome the world into this site and have fun doing it. Show us your world.

Marshall

Surfin' Turkey said:
...The images are deleted at ~30 days age or so in order to keep the forum database from bloating with pictures...

The posts are not deleted, it's just your way of viewing them that filters them out. Look at the bottom of the forum and you'll see a drop down menu that says show threads...from "The past 30 days," just change that to "The beginning"

clipboard01.jpg

Sequoia

GSequoia said:
The posts are not deleted, it's just your way of viewing them that filters them out. Look at the bottom of the forum and you'll see a drop down menu that says show threads...from "The past 30 days," just change that to "The beginning"

clipboard01.jpg

Sequoia

Naw, I am pretty sure they are removed after 30 days or so in that particular forum. :D

This forum Rocks!!!

"I'm waiting for the day one of the Chinese XJ's are lifted and trying to climb the Great Wall of China!!!"

Scott, I'd like to be on that tour! Ride up through to Kamkatcha and take the boat to AK & down the volcanic coast and hit Moab on the way back east ;)

UFWDA is international...but seems like their most active outlying area (besides Canada in N. Am.) is New Zealand...and those blokes are facing pressure from the anti-recreationalists - maybe worse than here in the US?

No doubt there is a whole lot of 4-wheeling going on all over the world...some recreational but in many places folks with vehicles do the 4x4 thing pretty hardcore just to get the groceries...and just like in many places in No Am, there are plenty of critters out there waiting to eat or otherwise molest you, your chilluns, AND your groceries, if you screw around unawares.

If folks can share experiences and expedition advice here...that would be great!!!! Pix are welcome.

I recommend Upper Tellico OHV Area (astride the seNC swTN stateline in the Nantahala National Forest) for any enthusiast 4x4 travellers visiting the SE USA. It's very scenic on a clear day, and the trails are a good test of equipment & driver. And there's enough things that bite/eat out there to keep ya observant. For $5 US Bux a day, there is no better (legal) thrill on the US east coast that I know of.

A pic from Crawford's Campground...a short ride from the trails between Tellico OHV and Murphy NC:

Chark in the campground playground:
5chark___groovy_green_hit_the_rocks_2-med.jpg

And some 'real' trail pics from the OHV area of good folks wheeling Tellico on trail Lower 2...

Wes with Crunch spotting...
5IMG11-med.JPG

Dan "Fore" Wheeler...
5IMG21-med.JPG

5IMG19-med.JPG

Last edited:
Land of the Long White Cloud

You said the magic words for me, Woody: ..... New Zealand.

So many times that I've had the great fortune to spend some time there, and so many times I wished one of my XJ's was with me. That is a country that was made for driving - whether it be on blacktop or in the bush. The Greens are really strong down there, especially regarding anti-nuclear positions and genetically modified crops, but while there is pressure to close off access, the Kiwis are a lot more realistic than the US regarding outdoor activities, and a lot of them really are passionate about their motoring freedom.

Those islands are a subject that I could spend HOURS on . . . . . what a spectacular country - people and places

Right hand drive XJ's are around, but never from any of the rental companies. Have driven 1000's of km all over the place, but always in 5 speed coupes. Rovers and Toyotas rule the place, and I finally found a off road rental place in Christchurch that had a real good deal on a LandCruiser with lockers, skids, and a winch. Was planning a big return trip this February and started a dialogue with some folks there (including the UFWDA VP) since THIS time I was specifically going to go off road - then the damn job situation killed that idea.

Oh well, next time.

Anyway, I like the idea to specifically have a forum to talk about and exchange ideas for those kinds of trips. Should be fun. And, maybe I can give something back as well. While I don't have picture posting capabilities, I do have a lot of experience driving around NZ (and did a lot more specific planning regarding some offroading for the next trip) so anybody that wants to ask a question about a Kiwi trip (4WD or otherwise), please feel free to ask - it would definitely be a trip to remember!

Mike in NJ :patriot:

check this out
Even though I don't know anyone there, nor it's really a true wheeling, it's a worthy read, and I will post an update once I hear anything about how it went (I think they are already back)..... In any case, look at the map and see where they are going from and to..... that's what I call a trip :) Now to give a little bit of a background on this event, the guy that organized it actually did it himself about 7 or 8 years ago. Ok... him and two people in one vehicle (the people were some students that were supposed to document it on film and in pictures... but well... things didn't work out with that)

Anyways, it's a cool forum to have :) Maybe we can get Hagen's wife to post some pics of him driving through thouse BIG piles of leaves :)

Glenn Baker said:
I doubt NAXJA is going to change the name anytime soon. We have, and continue to have Internation participation in the forums and on the trail.

I'm pushing for intergala-xj-ic..:D

Wheeling in Greece

OK, if any of you are interested in what is it like wheeling in Greece, I have some trip reports in my site.

You can see them at:

John's Off-Road Adventures

I have to admit that most are not of the hard-wheeling type, and also the XJ participates in only a few of those, but you get an idea.

Kind regards

Re: Wheeling in Greece

SV1CEC said:
OK, if any of you are interested in what is it like wheeling in Greece, I have some trip reports in my site.

You can see them at:

John's Off-Road Adventures

I have to admit that most are not of the hard-wheeling type, and also the XJ participates in only a few of those, but you get an idea.

SV1CEC, nice clear pics, thanks. And it's still wheelin'
:)

Re: Re: Wheeling in Greece

poomba said:

SV1CEC, nice clear pics, thanks. And it's still wheelin'
:)

You are most welcome Sir, I wish I had the time to do some more wheeling to show you some more.

Rgds

This sounds great - fits in with a lot of DD's who can't afford being close to the edge, literally, with family and all filling the seats on the way to (name of theme park here.)

IF anybody in GTMO reads this - POST PICTURES! I have had the fortunate (?) experience of riding (the bus) and biking there recently - SE Cuba is a rock paradise in places, with some truly stunning 4WD trails. Looked like a "black diamond" course for tracked vehicles. I'm not sure a wheeled vehicle could negotiate some parts. :scared:

I'm sure our members who have cruised the back 40 in Ft. Irwin could say the same.

This is all good -

The folks in the N.W. have Canada and up to Alaska, N.E. have the Nova Scotia, New Brunswick & the Canada thing also
Then the S.W. folks have Baja & Mexico nearby. Being in So. Cal. I love Baja.
How about just here in the good Ole USA, it can be like going to a different country sometimes just going to different regions in the
states.
I'm seriously looking into building a offroad trailer for moderate use to explore with, (something the old club in my area was famous for, never slept in the same camp each night just set up the trailer at a new vista each night or two) one that will hold the stuff for a family of 4. I want my kids to see some of the remote area in the U.S. before those areas get closed to vehicular travel.
So If anyone wants to head to Baja or spend afew days on the Mojave Rd. or some other place drop me a line.
See Ya !!
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Back