• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 will not shift into 1/2, No Reverse

Leakyforlife

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been completely rebuilding a 1991 4x4 cherokee Laredo. I bought it non-running with a blown engine with 361k on the odometer. No other information other then the guy said he drove it to the parts store and it wouldn't crank back up.

I completely rebuilt at 97 ZJ engine and dropped it in and it cranks and runs like a sewing machine. Problem now is it feels like the transmission is loaded up while in park and moves forward in every gear but park. I have no reverse at all and it will not shift into 1/2.
So far I have:
1.Adjusted the shift linkage. This was slightly off but still does not allow it to go into 1/2. Verified by manually shifting trans with cable off.
2. Adjusted the throttle transmission line pressure cable
3. Removed the NSS and tried shifting. This did nothing to help. The NSS is new and I have reverse lights and it cranks in park/neutral
4. Dropped the pan today. Checked all the solenoids. They all read 13 to 16 ohms. Manually opened solenoids with 12v and they all click very firm.
5. Checked the harness from firewall to trans for abrasions. All good. Cleaned all connectors and greased with dielectric.
6. Pulled TCM fuse. No changes.
7. With the pan off shifted the trans manually and watched the selector and spring. It will shift from park to 3 smoothly but will not move into the last position 1/2, even with force.

I read another thread where the guy had a very similar problem and it ended up being the trans was froze and locked in 1st gear and he had to replace the trans. Has anyone else had this issue or any recs on where to go from here other then replacing the trans or dropping it and attempting to go through the internals.
I'm headed to the JY next weekend and plan to pull a 96xj trans if it still has the trans when I get there.
Any help would be appreciated!

Sounds like there's pressure locked in somewhere. As if it's stuck in 1st gear, but in park it's in both park and 1st, in reverse it's in reverse and 1st, etc.

If you're feeling froggy, drop the valve body and look for hung up shift valves. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, swap in a JY trans. Then again, what's to lose? It already doesn't work. Worst case scenario, you already need to replace the trans. Best case, you fix it.

If you go the JY route, pay attention to the year split. There's an AW4 info thread here that will tell you every year that is interchangeable.

Thanks for the response. Yeah I guess I don't have anything to lose! I don't know what I'm looking at when I drop the valve body but ill do some research on that. I'll check out the year split on the transmissions before I pull one. I believe 91-96 were compatible but ill double check!

You can follow this:
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/223578-transgo-340-hd2-install-reveiw.html

The Toyota A340 is the same as the AW4. You can omit the shift kit install part, but you get the idea. Pull the valve body, be careful of the little plastic check balls that might drop, pull the valves and accumulators, reinstall.

The hardest part for me was separating the dipstick tube from the pan. If you break the valve body gasket, you can get a new one. I didn't, and I had no issue. Your mileage may vary.

You might be able to unstick a valve, or you might have a something serious going on. Save the fluid so you don't waste money on new fluid on a gamble. If it works, THEN change the fluid. If not, grab a JY trans and change the fluid anyway.

Good luck!

Well before I dropped the valve body I noticed this! The primary slector valve?(I don't know what its formally called) was not in position with the selector which is why it wouldn't go into 1/2, it was basically stuck there. I dropped the valve body enough to get the selector pin in the valve groove and bingo! Got reverse and all the gears. Took it for a short cruise and it shifted great. Couldn't drive it too long cause I'm breaking in new 4.88s and it needs to be aligned, and needs shocks(installed a 5.5 IRO long arm and 35s). But it appears to be working now! Thanks for the suggestions, yall were helpful.

Id like to insert a picture but I cannot figure it out on this platform unless its a link. If I figure it out I will post a picture of the selector and pin out of the groove.

Glad you got it!!

As for pics, you need to use a hosting site them embedded the URL using tags.

I switched to IMGUR.

So you found your "Grove" ??? LOL, Awesome. Congrats!!

Well before I dropped the valve body I noticed this! The primary slector valve?(I don't know what its formally called) was not in position with the selector which is why it wouldn't go into 1/2, it was basically stuck there. I dropped the valve body enough to get the selector pin in the valve groove and bingo! Got reverse and all the gears. Took it for a short cruise and it shifted great. Couldn't drive it too long cause I'm breaking in new 4.88s and it needs to be aligned, and needs shocks(installed a 5.5 IRO long arm and 35s). But it appears to be working now! Thanks for the suggestions, yall were helpful.

Id like to insert a picture but I cannot figure it out on this platform unless its a link. If I figure it out I will post a picture of the selector and pin out of the groove.

Back