• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Transmisson Fluid Type

FernGreen

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm looking to see what transmission fluid i can safely use in my 2000 aw4, i know not to use atf +4 but i'm confused about the difference between dexron III vs dexron IV vs dexron VI? The FSM called for dexron III correct? I thought dexron III was replaced by dexron IV but then i read that dexron IV is thinner viscosity than dexron III. But now it looks like dexron IV has also been replaced. I guess what i'm asking is when i go down to the auto parts store which bottle do I pick lol, I was looking at the castrol transmax vi (gm licensed dexron-VI). Or would i be better off with a house brand dexron III compatible (like napa)?

The AW4 FSM calls for Mercon or Dex II.

I should that in my 2000 I have been running Amsoil since mile 0, but with my super-rebuild I can actually run anything now!

Use Dexron-III/Mercon. I use the Walmart store brand.

The AW4 FSM calls for Mercon or Dex II.
So here's what I dug up. This is copy and pasted from my 2000 FSM:
"Mopar Dexron IIE/Mercon is the recommended
fluid for the AW-4 automatic transmissions." & "Dexron II fluid IS NOT recommended. Clutch chatter can result from the use of improper fluid."
So I guess don't use dex II. (if you had an old bottle laying around lol)

Here's some cross referencing over the years:

Dexron II — Improved GM formula with better viscosity control and additional oxidation inhibitors. Can be used in place of Dexron.

Dexron IIE — GM fluid for electronic transmissions.

Dexron III — Replaces Dexron IIE and adds improved oxidation and corrosion control in GM electronic automatics.

Dexron-VI -- Introduced in 2006 for GM Hydra-Matic 6L80 6-speed rear-wheel-drive transmissions. Dexron VI now replaces Dexron III and II, and can be used in GM or import transmissions that formerly specified Dexron III or II.

I should that in my 2000 I have been running Amsoil since mile 0, but with my super-rebuild I can actually run anything now!

Well, I don't much. I cannot help here.

I have using Amsoil since 125,000 miles. My XJ is now sitting at 340,000+ miles. No problem yet on the AW4.

Last weekend I spent an afternoon reviewing what ATF people have been using in the AW4. There are indications that ATF+4 could cause issues, so there is some logic to staying away from that. The gray area is when considering multigrade ATFs such as the Amsoil multigrade or even what Amsoil calls their OE ATF. These both partially or fully satisfy ATF+4 requirements while also satisfying Dex III / Mercon requirements, so its unclear as to whether they will be a problem in an AW4.

The decision I made was to stick with an ATF that is clearly not ATF+4, but is fully synthetic. Several folks indicated that they have had good luck with Valvoline MaxLife ATF which meets Dex III / Mercon requirements but not ATF+4, so I am going with that.

That's because it meets all the requirements for all the fluids. Like I said I've been running it in mine since it rolled off the assembly line in 2000. When I tore it down for my "killer trans" build you could have eaten off the pan and nothing on the magnet.

My 1998 was a fleet maintained vehicle up to 190,000 miles, and got whatever lowest bidder oil that came in 55 gallon drums and whatever generic Dexron/Mercon that came in 5 gallon pails. I drove it another almost 100.000 miles until the cheap and crappy AutoZone radiator burst and killed the motor.

Regular fluid changes is the key to long life, not synthetic fluids.

I put Valvoline MaxLife in my tranny. I don't know what tranny it is though.

aisin 898012

That's what I could see on the case itself. What transmission is this? It only took 2 1/2 quarts for a drain and fill.

I put Valvoline MaxLife in my tranny. I don't know what tranny it is though.

aisin 898012

That's what I could see on the case itself. What transmission is this? It only took 2 1/2 quarts for a drain and fill.

All of the Cherokees (not grand cherokees) came with the Aisin-Warner 4 (AW4) transmission. It's Japanese and used in a number of Toyotas as well. Generally considered a robust transmission, and usually any problems are caused by being external sensors (usually TPS) or solenoids going bad (which can be replaced without pulling the trans). It had a few minor changes over the years.

Back