• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie down choices

Engine One Eight

NAXJA Forum User
I come from a ranching background where we tie everything to the trailer with chain and boomers. I'd like a slicker way to tie down my XJ. Is there a strap made to go over the tires that's a better option then a chain over the axle? Recommendations?

I've never strapped over tires on a cherokee, usually tire size changes from vehicle to vehicle and i always preferred a one strap fits all approach.

I use regular 2" fabric ratchet straps and matching axle loops. On a 4x4 I always go around axles, on some other vehicles like my miatas where tie down points are limited, I run the axle loops through the wheels.

I also will only use straps that have positive locking hooks...no open hooks in case something bounces or moves.

Speaking of tie downs, I don't cross strap anymore...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIC7URvAqmM
jump to the 1:10 mark

Thank you for posting that.

Matt did a good job showing the difference between the two techniques.

I wonder what the reason is for cross strapping. I know I have done it in order to deal with short distances between axle and D-rings.

Back