• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinion angle on a high pinion D30 custom setup***

zabeard

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys i need some help

i have a 2003 ford ranger that i jsut put a D30 with RE long arms and RE 5.5" lift coils.

ive got it all installed and pretty much where i think it should be but am having issues with figuring out where my pininon angle should be.

i'm not too worried about the driveshaft as i have plenty of room for that.

i have a gauge that i put on top of the diff that reads 5*-6* is that where i should be ? or what should i run? hints and help would be great

-Zach

pics of my setup

DSCF1502.JPG

DSCF1504.JPG

That looks pretty cool! I have the same set up under my jeep, and if the front driveshaft is a CV shaft then u could probably just eyeball it into place since lifting an XJ already changes the angle dramatically, and runs fine just like that. But hey maybe someone else can help out with some actual degree measurments. come on help this guy out! :patriot:

Oh and post some more pics of ur entire rig!

Sweet looking setup. Like SmokeeaterXJ said. If it's a CV shaft the pinion angle should be as close to the DS angle as possible. A search for castor might turn up more info.

i have a double cardon front driveshaft that will be made locally when i have the Detroit tru-trac and D30 gears installed. So no CV driveshaft.

I'm somewhere around 6* right now. Ive been reading and alot of people run 16* and 17 if so I am way off...

thanks guys i just finished the build last night. this is my first ever swap and dealing with a strait axle. so im kinda lost on steering geometry and getting it to drive decent...

here is a shot of it in the garage..

DSCF1507.JPG

DSCF1506.JPG

zabeard said:
i have a double cardon front driveshaft that will be made locally when i have the Detroit tru-trac and D30 gears installed. So no CV driveshaft.

I'm somewhere around 6* right now. Ive been reading and alot of people run 16* and 17 if so I am way off...

thanks guys i just finished the build last night. this is my first ever swap and dealing with a strait axle. so im kinda lost on steering geometry and getting it to drive decent...

here is a shot of it in the garage..

DOH!!! :doh:

I meant to say double Cardon driveshaft. That's what cherokees have stock in the front.

This site has some info on caster.
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

It's a trade off between caster and pinion angle. It's probably going to be trial and error for you. Set it up so the DS and pinion are the same and test drive. You might have to pull the pinion down slightly to get the caster right.

What do u mean steering geometry? Its the easiest thing in the world to adjust your alignment. U should have a Y looking steering assembly so to get ur steering wheel straight just adjust the top bar and to get ur tires straighter adjust the bottom to push them out or in. use a tape measure.
But u have pretty bad as ranger!!! Get some pics of it in action!!!

My buddies have rangers and I always bitch at them for not getting 4 wheel drive. Because they want to get a prerunner look! Geez! Its pointless to have a truck with out 4x4..... :doh:

thanks for the replies. i know how to align it but still unsure of a good pinion angle i understand the concpt and right now im at 5* and the driveshaft angle is pretty good IMO

what is wrong with his coil spacers? i didnt want them for spacers, rangers have a lean to the left, the truck is just heavier on the drivers side. i have them adjusted over an inch on that side to make it level...

Are you going to bottom out your shocks? They look like they might be alittle long with it sitting on stands it looks like you will have about 4" of upward travel i would think that would bottom out while driving down the street

zabeard said:
thanks for the replies. i know how to align it but still unsure of a good pinion angle i understand the concpt and right now im at 5* and the driveshaft angle is pretty good IMO

i don't understand what you asking. people have told you that you need to have your caster adjusted proper as well as your alignment of you DS. without cuting the knuckles and rotating them you will just have to to compromise between good caster and good pinion angle. pinion angle can be measured by placing a magnetic angle finder on the differential cover mounting surface. and caster can be measured by placing a magnetic angle finder on the lower ball joint (if they are not offset balljoints)

bj-666 said:
i don't understand what you asking. people have told you that you need to have your caster adjusted proper as well as your alignment of you DS. without cuting the knuckles and rotating them you will just have to to compromise between good caster and good pinion angle. pinion angle can be measured by placing a magnetic angle finder on the differential cover mounting surface. and caster can be measured by placing a magnetic angle finder on the lower ball joint (if they are not offset balljoints)

i need some stock numers, that is what i was asking for.

zabeard said:
i need some stock numers, that is what i was asking for.

Did you even bother clicking the link I posted...?

If you pick up a magnetic angle finder (like $10) you can figure it out with the writeup. Stock numbers won't work anyway. It's not stock. :idea:

yeah i read it thanks.

my caster is at 3.9* or something ill have to look again but that is what they told me at the alignment shop.

come to find out my steering gear box was all hosed up need to get that fixed then get an alignment.

Back