• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Announcement: Colorado Chapter is now the proud adoptee of the Kingston Peak Trail!

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Many thanks to Mike (Hypoid) for drawing our attention to this. He found that the Kingston Peak Trail (FR-353) was to become available for adoption and hit up the BOD to look into adopting it.

This is a project that the BOD has been looking to take on for some time. Mike submitted the forms and we just received the "adoption" confirmation!

What does this mean?

Well, several things. Our agreement requires that we make a minimum of two visits to the trail to do maintenance and clean up. This will allow for the Chapter to have 2 guaranteed trail dates to get folks together, so some light to moderate 'wheeling and do some good for the trail system.

Keep your eyes posted for trail run announcements to come.

In the meantime, here's a TrailDamage.com link to info about Kingston:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=14

Sounds good. I get the clean up part, but is there more guidance about what the maintenance should consist of? I can't see filling potholes, but maybe blocking off illegal trails?

My guess is the mud area will be more than enough to maintain and keep people from widening and such.
Cool to see naxja getting in on trail maintenance.

So good to hear, I love that trail.

Does anyone know if the rock house on that trail has any historical value or was it started illegally? If it is not supposed to be there, can our 1st order of business be to tear down? If that is to extreme, we definitely can clean that area up. There was a mailbox in the place the last time I was there.

Good lord......... why on earth would you wanna tear down the Rock House? Seems to me we'd catch a ton of grief for doing that. If the F.S. didn't want that there, they'd have taken care of the "problem" long ago. So many folks have run that trail with their kids to put rocks in place up there.... I see this as a BAD idea and would cause all kinds of hate and discontent. Would you want the Empire Hilton removed from Bill Moore Lake trail???

To answer Fred's question, yes I'm sure there are rules and guidelines to be followed for the efforts our club will take on as part of the adoption and maintenance of this trail. I haven't received the documents from Mike yet, but once I do, the BOD will look them over, and put together some plans and dates with information on what objectives we'd like to accomplish. :thumbup:

Sounds good. I get the clean up part, but is there more guidance about what the maintenance should consist of? I can't see filling potholes, but maybe blocking off illegal trails?
To add to Troy's response, much of that will depend on need, and available resources. Every trip requires monitor forms that need to be filled out and submitted. Every participant signs a Volunteer Agreement that makes the FS liable for our safety. Every trip starts with a safety meeting, with guidelines to manage risk. Filling out the monitor forms and picking up trash is a good starting point.

EDIT: Props to the BOD for jumping on this opportunity!

Good lord......... why on earth would you wanna tear down the Rock House?

Like I said, IF it was built illegally on Federal land. I’m ok with it if it is supposed to be there.

If the F.S. didn't want that there, they'd have taken care of the "problem" long ago.

Right. Taken care of it by closing the trail maybe. That seems to be how the F.S. fixes things pertaining to off roading (ie: Carnage Canyon Boulder).

So many folks have run that trail with their kids to put rocks in place up there....

I forgot, that makes it right.

Would you want the Empire Hilton removed from Bill Moore Lake trail???

IF it was built illegally and it is not supposed to be there, yes.

I am looking forward to being part of this as it is the first trail adoption since I’ve been around. :thumbup:

Thanks to the BOD for making it happen!

I understand the puritanical preservation aspect you seem to be embracing Matt, not trying to beat your opinion down.

I just see Rock House as something that got started as probably a simple little rock stack by someone quite a few years back and hundreds or thousands of other folks embraced it with good, fun intentions. I like it. Brings some additional character and interest to the trail. My opinion.

Is there anything illegal about it? Dunno that any of the land laws address this...... Erecting monuments on Federal lands without permits or something of the sort might touch on it. Dunno.

There's the "black and white" of the law, and there's the "spirit and intent" of the law.

I hate the "black and white" part. I know..... a bit ironic given my profession. But I really embrace discretion.

And.......... I'd rather see Rock House than this:

PileRocks.jpg

Last edited:
Troy, I like your 'spirit and intent' comment. It sums up my arguing abilities.

In reality, I'm in a sour mood today, David left for BMT this morning. Time for a JZ.

Have I mentioned how glad I am the BOD got this done? I really am.

Very cool! I run this trail a minimum twice a year, and am eager to help maintain and keep this trail around for years to come. I always saw it as a possible "shut down" trail due to high traffic and un educated motorists. Look forward to lending a hand. Way to go BOD!

Trail parties are fun. Count me in.

Lets set up a family run with a BBQ at the top like we were doing a few summers ago. There are a handful of weekends this summer that I cant go, but I haven't done any wheeling with NAXJA in probably 3 seasons. Let's make it happen!

Lets set up a family run with a BBQ at the top like we were doing a few summers ago. There are a handful of weekends this summer that I cant go, but I haven't done any wheeling with NAXJA in probably 3 seasons. Let's make it happen!

You mean like the one Skully got us lost in the housing project up in Black rock area ??

Are you talking about the one where I BBQ'd? I would probably be up for that again.

You mean like the one Skully got us lost in the housing project up in Black rock area ??

Hahaha yes that was one of the trips.

Are you talking about the one where I BBQ'd? I would probably be up for that again.

There have been a few of these runs. One was Pole Hill, another was Yankee Hill...

A couple people brought camping grills and we did burgers/brats for lunch. I remember you making some killer BBQ at a shooting area clean up though.

Bump!

Time to bring this up again. We have a tentative first run on Saturday the 19th. I am waiting for confirmation from the FS.

Some friends are trying to plan a camping trip over the 19th and 20th, but if that falls through, I would be in to help a cleanup.

The trail seems pretty mild, so I think a "stock" WJ that has a 2'' lift should be able to do the trail?

Starboard M said:
Some friends are trying to plan a camping trip over the 19th and 20th, but if that falls through, I would be in to help a cleanup.

The trail seems pretty mild, so I think a "stock" WJ that has a 2'' lift should be able to do the trail?

It would be awesome if you could make it...and you're friends too! :)

This will be my first time on Kingston Peak, I don't know how a stock WJ would fare. Does it have 4-low?

By the way, CONFIRMED!

Fred, you have PM.

Back