• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Today's the Day!

Rob Mayercik

NAXJA Member #920
NAXJA Member
I go "wheels up" this afternoon and hit the road for NACFest. Don't have a specific time yet, but I intend to be at the campground late afternoon.

I do have a small favor to ask - is anyone bringing an air saw or sawzall? I am going to be looking to borrow one for a couple minutes:

Back on the weekend before Thanksgiving, I finally put on that heavy-duty tie rod I got in Andy's group buy some time previously (Yes, I know that's probably some sort of record around here).

In doing so, I pulled the LF tire and then put it back on. When I took the truck down to the local tire shop for its new shoes (replaced the Duratracs with MT/R Kevlars), I discovered that I hadn't retightened the lug nuts, and the tire fell off halfway there. That kinda made a mess of the LF fender.

-- pause --

Ok, now that you've all picked yourselves up off the floor and gotten control of yourselves (I hope), the reason I'm going to be looking for a saw is because I think I need to trim a little bit off in the back of the wheel arch in order to make sure I don't cut into my brand-new tire. I was able to push and pull on it a little to straighten it a bit, but don't want to take chances - my luck with tires the last three outings has not been that good. I've got another fender standing by in the garage, but that's not going on until after this weekend.

In doing so, I pulled the LF tire and then put it back on. When I took the truck down to the local tire shop for its new shoes (replaced the Duratracs with MT/R Kevlars), I discovered that I hadn't retightened the lug nuts, and the tire fell off halfway there. That kinda made a mess of the LF fender.

-- pause --

Ok, now that you've all picked yourselves up off the floor and gotten control of yourselves (I hope), the reason I'm going to be looking for a saw is because I think I need to trim a little bit off in the back of the wheel arch in order to make sure I don't cut into my brand-new tire. I was able to push and pull on it a little to straighten it a bit, but don't want to take chances - my luck with tires the last three outings has not been that good. I've got another fender standing by in the garage, but that's not going on until after this weekend.

I wish i was there to see that haha, i have a grinder in the jeep & a inverter but wont be there till sat.

Would prefer to cut over beating - that edge is pretty rusty, so I'd prefer not to have to do 15 minutes of fragment picking after 5 minutes of cutting.

I know, I seem to get more body damage on the street than the trails (figure that).

Shaft, I'll see about getting someone to take pictures while I'm cutting - certainly this'll be a first for me at a 'Fest - body damage BEFORE I hit the trails.

Would prefer to cut over beating - that edge is pretty rusty, so I'd prefer not to have to do 15 minutes of fragment picking after 5 minutes of cutting.

I know, I seem to get more body damage on the street than the trails (figure that).

Shaft, I'll see about getting someone to take pictures while I'm cutting - certainly this'll be a first for me at a 'Fest - body damage BEFORE I hit the trails.

if we are talking about the rear fenders...
it comes out clean if you just cut a couple slits in the pinch seams then bang it all over with a hammer. nice and smooth, no jagged edges.

hokay, maybe were talking about the front... angle grinders or dremels work better. sawzalls tend to just bang the metal all around every which way in my experience.

x2 mine came out awesome with a 4.5" angle grinder - little tricky on the tight corners but very easy

If the grinder it better behaved, that's fine - since I have a replacement fender at home, aesthetics is of secondary importance right now.

Back