• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tellico trip

Lynn

NAXJA Forum User
I'm back from my trip to Tellico. It was an awesome trip. The fall foliage was at its peak. Only problem I had all week with my XJ was electrical problems with my ARB compressor. I did Trails 1, 4, 5 and 6, and Trail 11 as far as the base of Guardrail. It rained a bit and made all the trails greasy. Everyone who tried Guardrail had to winch. This was the first long distance trip with my XJ. I got 17 mpg even with a full load of spare parts and gear. The 4:56 gears with 31's I was at 2,500 rpms at 70 mph. I was the only vehicle that was able to accelerate on the long hills. Overall I was very pleased with its performance. Had two moments of excitement. On Lower 4, when I got up against a rock and had to be winched sideways from the hillside while I drove forward and avoided caving in the door. On Trail 5 there's an optional exit out of a creek and my bumper just barely cleared the rocks and I climbed up and over. Two days I drove and two days I rode shotgun with others on the harder trails. I took several hundred pictures and it's gonna take me a few days to sort through the good ones from the bad. The group stayed at Tellico Cabin Rentals, just a couple miles from the staging area off Trail 1. I stayed at the cabin at the top of the mountain, so every morning and night I had to use 4wd low range just to get to my cabin. How sweet is that?

I put pictures up at http://www.imageevent.com/tealj

here's the one where I was up against a rock. I couldn't move forward or back or I would have hit the rock. From behind, they used a snatch block to connect to a tree up on the hillside and winched off my rock rail. It pulled me off the rock just enough for me to sneak forward.

[img:21fce9caf1]http://photos.imageevent.com/tealj/tellicowjeepsrus/DSC00060.JPG[/img:21fce9caf1]

Hey Lynn...glad to hear ya had a good time.

Do me a favor and dont use that "G%$&#Rail" word around me. Still gives me the sensation of hanging upside down. :lol: Took me 3 trips to scale G'Rail without a winch....most times it's just too slick as you found out.

Look fwd to seeing ya again.

Back