• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

nice! Are you driving or trailering up to Moab?

Have any way to follow the trip? IG, YT,...etc

Driving it. Meeting a buddy from Oklahoma City in Albuquerque. He's a Toyota guy but I don't hold it against him. If I break, his Land Cruiser can tow me back.

Instagram will be best: jvbftw

Picked up my drive shafts from Drive Shaft King. One was bent and they only needed to be rebalanced. Hoping the weather will actually be in the 60s this weekend so I can get them installed and do the u joints in the front axle shafts.

Driving it. Meeting a buddy from Oklahoma City in Albuquerque. He's a Toyota guy but I don't hold it against him. If I break, his Land Cruiser can tow me back.

Instagram will be best: jvbftw

Just sent ya a follow on IG

Picked up my drive shafts from Drive Shaft King. One was bent and they only needed to be rebalanced. Hoping the weather will actually be in the 60s this weekend so I can get them installed and do the u joints in the front axle shafts.

nice! Yeah I'm waiting to check my spare tranny and drop the pan to see if there are any chunks or not. Just need to figure out how to hold it up whilst I work on it.

Took the front axle shafts out. Drivers side U joint is good. Passenger side U joint and wheel hub assembly need replacement. Did the U joint already, just got to pick up a wheel hub assembly to slap it back together. Will do that tomorrow.

So I went for another test drive and right away when the tranny would shift into 4th it would act like it's in neutral. Drove around a bit to verify and yep, every time I went into 4th gear it would act the same, rev up high and no more go.

came back, adjusted the kick down/TV cable. Went back out and it seemed to work much better on the way back, 5 min drive down the road, it again did the same thing in 4th gear.

Now I'm gonna try and replace the TPS and put my old TCM back in and see if it still does the same thing in 4th.

Serpentine belt developed a constant chirping/squeal. Replaced with a new Continental Elite belt. 10/10 would buy again.

Made it home. What a week.

Ran a ton of trails. Minimal issues with the Jeep.

Made it home. What a week.

Ran a ton of trails. Minimal issues with the Jeep.

Got a long to do list now that I'm back:

1. Replace washer fluid bottle- leaks from drilling into it when I installed my flares.
2. Replace coolant bottle/flush cooling system. Dirty as hell, I seemed to be losing coolant early in the week but never had any cooling issues. Bottle may be cracked. If not I think I've got the 0331 head crack (but no other symptoms)
3. Rotate my rear brake position back to "stock" on an 8.8. Not enough clearance to the leaves where they are, and my leaf perch was able to loosen a banjo bolt a couple times
4. Find the new driveline vibe- tire balance, alignment, or driveshaft
5. Figure out new bumpstops for the front and rear

Swapped out engine mounts with some beefier ones I got since I was experiencing weird transfer case noises when accelerating, especially in reverse. That ended up making the issue worse. Get a real nice grinding/popping noise when in reverse and I lose power to the wheels when this happens. I suspect the output shaft of the transmission is slipping in the input shaft to the transfer case for some reason.

If anyone comes across a jeep np242 for sale locally, let me know.

Will pull the transfer case once I get my motivation back. :(

are you sure the linkage isn't bound and not letting the gears fully mesh?

I know when you go to more of a solid mount for the motor that you should do like wise for the tranny mount, at least in cars lol

not sure if that is true for jeeps :D

I know when you go to more of a solid mount for the motor that you should do like wise for the tranny mount, at least in cars lol

Stinkyfab has a pretty nice one these days

In the past the recommendation was just to put a new stock tranny mount on since there weren’t too many aftermarket options

Yep. Linkage and front driveshaft have been removed.

Crunched my crossmember pretty good. Cat converter and some of the exhaust pipe are touching the floor now.

Probably due for a new cat anyway so I'm going to get something more compact and have the exhaust pulled back down. May use this as an excuse for the Stinkyfab Crossmember/Skid and Long Arms.

Crunched my crossmember pretty good. Cat converter and some of the exhaust pipe are touching the floor now.

Probably due for a new cat anyway so I'm going to get something more compact and have the exhaust pulled back down. May use this as an excuse for the Stinkyfab Crossmember/Skid and Long Arms.

Nice! Been eyeing Stinkyfabs long arms as well...

on club XJ facebook group, the owner of stinky fab said they will be coming out with a 3 piece crossmember. That way you dont have to drop the whole suspension when you need to drop the drivetrain.

Their long arm kits dont need crossmembers, which is why Im a fan of them so far. Id like to keep my beefy JKS crossmember.

Back