NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 15th, 2019, 16:11
NAXJA Forum User

Can't find Mopar Crankshaft Position Sensor

I can't find a Mopar one. The dealer says they are discontinued and they just get theirs from Napa. Who made Mopar? What brand would you suggest as they all look like they came from China most have lots of bad reviews. Omix-Ada?

My symptoms. 1989 MJ cranks and spins, but no fire. Confirmed the fuel pump is running by measuring voltage across the fuel ballast resistor at key-on, but not while cranking, and timing light shows I've got no spark. Unplug the CPS, measures 200-ohms, plug it back in and she fires right up. I haven't scoped it yet to see what it looks like. Wiring looks good, but I don't have a spare CPS if/when it dies again.
Old November 15th, 2019, 17:32
NAXJA Member

Re: Can't find Mopar Crankshaft Position Sensor

I found some genuine mopar CPS's on ebay and on summit racing and several other places.

Google "1989 jeep comanchee crankshaft position sensor oem"

They do seem to be drying up....
Old November 15th, 2019, 17:38
NAXJA Forum User

The CPS situation is getting dire. I bought one from NAPA for my '91 and it didn't work at all.
Old November 15th, 2019, 18:36
NAXJA Forum User

I used one from autozone that worked , I did buy a OEM crank sensor but still have not put it in the autozone one is 3 years old now .
Old November 16th, 2019, 08:10
NAXJA Forum User

I've been buying my CPS from NAPA and they work just fine with Cruiser's hole mod to get them closer to the flywheel teeth. Likewise, I file notches in the two(2) CPS holes so that the next CPS change goes easier; i.e. just loosen the two(2) CPS bolts (don't remove bolts) and then slide out the old CPS and slide in the new CPS and tighten the bolts. IIRC, the American mfg. "Wells" makes the CPS.

Best regards,

CJR
Old November 16th, 2019, 08:34
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR View Post
I've been buying my CPS from NAPA and they work just fine with Cruiser's hole mod to get them closer to the flywheel teeth. Likewise, I file notches in the two(2) CPS holes so that the next CPS change goes easier; i.e. just loosen the two(2) CPS bolts (don't remove bolts) and then slide out the old CPS and slide in the new CPS and tighten the bolts. IIRC, the American mfg. "Wells" makes the CPS.

Best regards,

CJR
Good to know. So I went to their site and looked up for a '89 Comanche with a 4.0. Apparently 2.
With High Altitude Emissions SU3014

https://www.ebay.com/p/75285457?iid=...kaAldkEALw_wcB

Without High Altitude Emissions SU3228

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Cran...wAAOSwMZFbmyco
Old November 16th, 2019, 08:47
NAXJA Forum User

Forgot the link to their website:

https://wellsve.com/parts/
Old November 16th, 2019, 09:39
NAXJA Forum User

I suspect there are only a few actual Chinese manufacturers and everyone is just relabeling them. I'd prefer new-old-stock mopar if I can find one, but it looks like most of the webite claiming oem aren't actually selling oem. I plan to do the hole/slot mod, and maybe the high-altitude timing mod if I grab a cheap one that I don't mind breaking.
Old November 16th, 2019, 11:08
NAXJA Forum User

If you can't find a High Altitude CPS, a standard CPS can be simply modified, as per Cruiser's instructions, to be a High Altitude CPS.

Best regards,

CJR