• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sudden loss of starting!

dbltapp

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 XJ decided that it didn't want to start today. I got in it after it had been sitting all day, and nothing, no cranking, no nothing, waited, did it again and it fired up, drove it up tp the CVS, came back out, and no start, waited then it started. When I got home, I shut her off then tried to start her, nothing, tried again, and got half a crank, waited a little while, tried again and it started. Does anyone have any ideas? I have a new CPS waiting to in, but have been putting it off due to recent shoulder surgery. Could it be the CPS, or stater solenoied? Thanx for any help.

When your CPS (Crank Position Sensor) goes out, it'll turn over all day but not fire. From your explanation, it doesn't sound like that is your issue. Does it staer if you put it in neutral? Its possible that it could be your neutral safety switch.
Good luck

Nuetral safty switch i havnt done it yet but i think theres something on here about cleaning the connecter . next time it does it try putting it in nuetral and seeing if it starts sorry i coulnt be more help

I'm having what sounds like exactly the same problem. My plan right now is to install a new CPS and replace the ground wires. It seems like the CPS is working when it wants to, and not when I would like it to, but at the same time I occasionally get no power at all, no horn, lights, radio, and no start. My battery terminals looked pretty bad when this all started, and I just haven't had a chance to take a look in depth.

bbaker80 said:
I'm having what sounds like exactly the same problem. My plan right now is to install a new CPS and replace the ground wires. It seems like the CPS is working when it wants to, and not when I would like it to, but at the same time I occasionally get no power at all, no horn, lights, radio, and no start. My battery terminals looked pretty bad when this all started, and I just haven't had a chance to take a look in depth.

i'm thinkin battery cables.... they can look nice and clean on the outside and be all green and corroded inside the jacket.... next time it happens mess with the battery terminals a little

mike

bbaker80 said:

Before you spring for a new CPS, be aware that CPS failure will only stop the spark, not the cranking and other power. Of course you could have a bad CPS and something else too, but I'd go after the battery terminals first, and then the ignition switch, a fairly common problem.

As much as I hate to throw parts at the thing to sort out a problem, when it DOES crank, sometimes it dosen't fire, and just dumps fuel out the exhaust. This leads me to believe that there is NO spark whatsoever. I upgraded the alternator wires last summer, I guess this summer I'll move on to everything else. I'm thinking ground more than anything because even things that pull power directly from the battery (through a relay on a fused circut of course) don't work when it pulls the no crank crap.

I haven't even considered the ignition switch. Would it be possible to bypass it completely and use a toggle for on/off and a momentary pushbutton for the starter like a race car? The thing never leaves my yard unless we're goin wheelin at this point so I'm not too worried about having someone swipe it. And I'm sure I could wire up a kill switch for the fuel pump in the glove box just in case I need to leave it somewhere for a while.

I went out this morning and started it no problem, a couple times. When it happend before, everything came on, radio, radar etc. just no start, no clicks, no sputtering, nothing. New ideas?

Clean the battery posts first if they are all funky looking. I use baking soda and some water in a mix and just pour it on then wait about 4 minutes and rinse it off, repeat as needed. Then I pull the terminal connectors and clean them with a cleaning tool. After putting them back on I coat them with a liberal application of Mobil-1 grease out of the greasegun. It is a rare occurance, usually when we get a 'new one' in the family and the previous owner never did it.
I also on the 'new one' I pull all the connectors and check them, clean as needed and dielectric grease them before plugging them back in.
As for starters, your's sounds like it is going and will at some point in time leave you stranded. Carry a hammer and sometimes a whack can get it to make contact or get it past the burned spot on the armature.

Rickp
I didn't think it was the starter, cause it is making no noise at all. I remember the hammer trick from my CJ, but thought it made a whhrring noise, or something when it would stick. Am I wrong?

bheit4x4 said:
Nuetral safty switch i havnt done it yet but i think theres something on here about cleaning the connecter . next time it does it try putting it in nuetral and seeing if it starts sorry i coulnt be more help

I've got a good site for the (NSS) maintenance. http://www.jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp all you kneed to know step by step.

This may help
When I bought my xj the same thing happened to the previous owner I even jumped the starter straight to the batery and not a thing and only slight spark like dead battery turned out to be brushes were living way on borrowed time (wore out) and some time would get contact and some time not.
new brushes and alll is happy again
also somewhere I have read about dead keying where the ignition switch seems to no contact properly for start circuit sorry I don't have more info on latter one

dbltapp said:
Rickp
I didn't think it was the starter, cause it is making no noise at all. I remember the hammer trick from my CJ, but thought it made a whhrring noise, or something when it would stick. Am I wrong?

I had a 75/76 Dodge B200 maxi-van with a 440 in it, when the first starter went I would sit, turn key, nothing, sit turn key nothing, sit, remove dog house, 'whack' starter with tire checker, turn key and fire up, replace dog house, what a PIA. Went on like that for 3 days till my new starter finally came in. Replaced it and all was right again. Had the same thing happen on my first brandy new car, 73 Vega GT, new starter, did not know the 'whack it trick' yet so it cost me two tows, young and stupid. Never took one apart though to see if the brushes were worn or burned armature. Might if it happens again just out of curiousity, I usually have the bad starter with me to save having to pay the core charge or have had a repair place replace it in which case I would never see it. If you have the bucks put a 'mean green' in there . :viking:

been a poor kid to boy to finally above poverty I think so I got real used to trying to repair first then replace if ya have to and at $85 to $110 I really was glad that $6.00 fixed me up

Have not had a problem since I posted! Got a ignition switch, and CPS, just in case. Cleand the terminals(not so bad), replaced my belt(bad), I guess I will see what happens. Thanx for all your input, gotta love this forum!

Back