• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moab EJS11: The TORXreport

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Last fall I was given the opportunity to go in on a cabin for the week of Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, UT. I felt this could be my only chance of wheeling Moab, so I took it. For the past seven months I've been slowly prepping my Jeep for this trip. No tow rig would be used, I'd be driving my junk 2000 miles round trip, and wheeling for 7 days straight. What did I get myself into?

I met up with Joey (FiveNDime) and Ryan (icemans) in Vancouver Friday morning. My plan was to follow them to at least Boise, then either push on or stay the night in Boise.
IMG_0001.jpg

4700lbs fully loaded with too many spare parts, tools, food, and camping gear. The Jeep over exceeded my expectations, and drove like a champ.
IMG_0003.jpg

We reached Boise around 9:00pm (mountain time). We had dinner, and then stayed with Ryan's brother for the night. A few hours later we hit the road again for Moab at 0430. I watched the sunrise over Idaho.
IMG_0005.jpg

Washington, Oregon, Idaho,... UTAH!
IMG_0010.jpg

The closer we got to Moab, the more Jeeps we began to see on the road. I snapped this picture when the guys from Warn passed us. It was cool to see some other Jeeps from our neck of the woods, let alone the Warn crew.
IMG_0019.jpg

Dropping down from Soldier Summit (?), elevation ~7300ft'.
IMG_0020.jpg

So close...
IMG_0031.jpg

Many people told me I was crazy for driving my junk to Moab. Just outside of Cascade Locks, I realized they were right. To see the sand stone in person, and know Moab was just around the corner was very rewarding, and surreal.
IMG_0035.jpg

After arriving in Moab, and settling into the "cabin", we set out for the nearest trail. "Fins-n-Things" was recommended as a great first run to get a feel for the slick rock.
IMG_0038.jpg

The last trip out for me was a snow run to TSF, and I now found myself crawling around on the high traction sandstone of Moab. It definitely took me a few minutes to readjust.
IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

As with any new area you tend to get a bit photo happy.
IMG_0048.jpg

Group shot of the first day.
IMG_0062.jpg

We finished the trail under night fall. To be in an unfamiliar place, on unfamiliar terrain was interesting to say the least.
IMG_0075.jpg

more to come...

Sunday: Our plan for Sunday was to run "Behind the Rocks" trail with the POR Wheelers, a local NW group. They've been coming to Moab since 03' so they were awesome tour guides.

Our group airing down in the morning.
IMG_0076.jpg

POR Wheelers arrived, and we were ready to hit the trail.
IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

The first "obstacle" was a pretty steep climb. For the most part everyone made it up fairly easy.
IMG_0089.jpg

The scenery was incredible.
IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

The first actual obstacle was "High Dive" and "Upchuck." Here's Kyle of the POR Wheelers on Upchuck.
IMG_0101.jpg

The bypass.
IMG_0106.jpg

Rob of the POR Wheelers heading down High Dive. I didn't drive 1000 miles to take bypasses, so I had Sam of the POR Wheelers spot me down High Dive. It was a great obstacle, and definitely got the adrenaline going.
IMG_0108.jpg

In between the rock sections were a lot of sand roads. Perfect place to warm up the shocks a bit, and test the suspension.
IMG_0113.jpg

Our tour guides for the day.
IMG_0114.jpg

Lunch time.
IMG_0116.jpg

Again, with the suspension testing.
IMG_0121.jpg

You literally defy gravity in Moab. You just should not be able to drive up things like this.
IMG_0125.jpg

more to come...

IMG_0133.jpg

This was a super off camber spot just before White Knuckle Hill. This was probably the most tippy spot of the whole week in my opinion. It's definetly not a fun feeling when you feel you back driver side tire lift off the ground pitching you toward the cliff side. Moab gives a whole new meaning to "Pucker Power."
IMG_0134.jpg

The final named obstacle on Behind the Rocks was, "White Knuckle Hill." A 5-6ft vertical drop off.
IMG_0137.jpg

It was probably in Borus' best interest not to ride this one out.
IMG_0140.jpg

Kyle dropping down.
IMG_0142.jpg

Daryl at the point of no return.
IMG_0151.jpg

Doug of the POR crew dropping off.

A strap was used on a few just to keep the rear end from passing the front end. Probably a good thing.
IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

I'm still waiting for video of my descent. It was sketchy to say the least.

Everyone made it down in one piece. A few vinyl seat extractors were purchased later though. On the way out Mark picked up a rock with his tire.
IMG_0164.jpg

Later that night the Jondahl's hosted a great BBQ. Nothing like a hot meal when you get off the trail.

Last edited:
Monday: The plan was to run the "Triple Trail" of Poison Spider Mesa, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar Rim. It was going to be a long day, but I figured what better way to see Moab than on the trail.

IMG_0167.jpg

Doug and his dad of the POR Wheelers.
IMG_0173.jpg

Lunch time!
IMG_0176.jpg

With a late start, and possible rain on the way we all decided to head back out rather than spend another 8+ hours on the trail.
IMG_0178.jpg

With a few hours before night fall, we decided to make a run up "Moab Rim." We did have to wait until Red Rock finished their official run for the day.
IMG_0180.jpg

The ride up Moab Rim was unnerving. I had rocks in front of me, rocks on the right, and a cliff side with the Colorado River to my left. I'm use to trees, and they were nowhere to be found.

The "Z Turn"
IMG_0204.jpg

The view was worth it though. The town of Moab.
IMG_0182.jpg

We decided to explore a bit up top. There was actually a good amount of trail after the top, and the sun set made for some great scenery.
IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

Jeepforceone.
IMG_0197.jpg

With night fall approaching we decided to head back down. I wasn't looking forward to the trip down a whole lot (off camber + cliff side).
IMG_0198.jpg

Ryan did an awesome job spotting everyone down. The ride down actually wasn't bad at all.
IMG_0200.jpg

The canyon filling with dust and rain.
IMG_0201.jpg

Later that night we checked out the Moab Brewery for dinner. Awesome place with great food, reasonable prices, and good service.

more to come...

Tuesday: Kane Creek came highly recommended so we decided to check it out. On the way to the trail head.
IMG_0207.jpg

Trail head.
IMG_0211.jpg

Airing down. For the most part I stuck with 12psi for the week, and I had plenty of traction.
IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

First "obstacle" was a dip in the trail. Joey climbing out the other side.
IMG_0222.jpg

Daryl twisted up.
IMG_0228.jpg

I kept smelling cows...
IMG_0233.jpg

Kind of surreal to be driving up a stream bed. Definitely can't do that in PNW.
IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

For lunch we stopped by a stream, and heated up some steak for sandwiches. Life was tough that day.
IMG_0253.jpg

I dared someone to hike up to a rock, and shortly after found myself tagging along.
IMG_0261.jpg

We got up to the base of the cliff side. The original dare was to go to the top, but we settled for half way.
IMG_0264.jpg

more to come...

Back on the trail.
IMG_0270.jpg

One of the tougher obstacles on the climb out.
IMG_0273.jpg

Ryan's mom took over driving duties.
IMG_0278.jpg

Heading out along the canyon rim.
IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

Bonus climb on the way out. Of course we all had to take a turn at it.
IMG_0313.jpg

$27.95 of KM2 rubber.
IMG_0321.jpg

Aired back up for the drive out.
IMG_0329.jpg

Even the drive down the highway was cool.
IMG_0331.jpg

more to come...

Last edited:
Wednesday: I checked the Jeep over thoroughly Tuesday night. Before I left I told myself that if it was still running strong I was in for Pritchett Canyon on Wednesday.The trail is rated a 9 out of 10, or 5 out of 5 depending on the rating system. It was definitely going to be a challenging day for sure.

We started the day off bright and early, and were at the trail head by 0800. This was the only day the trail didn't have an official Red Rock run going on, so it was going to be a busy day.

Paying our $3 day use fee. The start of the trail actually crosses over private property, which is where the use fee comes in.
IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

It's also a BFG Outstanding Trail.
IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

Even though there were a few obstacles in the beginning, the first named obstacle was "The Brickyard." It included a steep climb up a face, and then an off camber crawl at the top.

Winton on top of the first ledge with Sam taking over spotting duties.
IMG_0348.jpg

Gravity and off camber are tough to beat, line was pulled.
IMG_0351.jpg

Nick getting ready.
IMG_0350.jpg

The first ledge took a good bump to get up it. Nick may have gave it a bit too much pepper.
IMG_0354.jpg

Can you say off camber?
IMG_0358.jpg

Wyldman living up to the name.
IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

About mid way through our pack, some buggies passed us. This tank dwarfed The Brickyard.
IMG_0372.jpg

Winch point, which a few people put to the test.
IMG_0374.jpg

After the buggies passed, Joey was on deck. He scoped out a different line, and put it to the test. It still took a good bump to get up the face, but it took the off camber part out of the equation.
IMG_0373.jpg

The scenery was amazing, but we sure had to work for it.
IMG_0379.jpg

After the Brickyard, we came to an off camber ledge.
IMG_0381.jpg

Brian spotted most down, while others were used as ballast.
IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

Notice the several thousand pound rock in front...
IMG_0397.jpg

Gone! Needless to say it was a stressful few minutes while recovery lines were rigged. Fortunately Nick's Jeep remained stable, and he was winched back on to the trail.
IMG_0398.jpg

The next obstacle was the infamous "Rocker Knocker."

"Do you feel tippy?... Then your in the right spot!"
IMG_0407.jpg

The whole time spent on this obstacle your brain is telling you no, but your spotter is saying yes. I crab walked my Jeep along the ledges, and stuffed the front driver tire into the crack. I was sure I was going to snap a shaft from the under cut ledge so I let off, of course to quickly be spit out. On the second run, I shut my brain off, listened to Rob spotting me, and successfully made it up.

Joey after making it up, on the second short ledge climb after.
IMG_0412.jpg

Feeling tippy?
IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

The group above Rocker Knocker.
IMG_0432.jpg

more to come...

Last edited:
With 2 1/2 obstacle to go we were almost done with Pritchett Canyon. It was however not done with my Jeep. Of course it had to be on the "half" unnamed obstacle, I pushed my luck and broke my front locker. I had a feeling I was pushing it too hard bumping up the ledges on this stair step, and of course it caught up. I was however surprised the locker let go before the stock shafts, carrier, or gear set. I winched up, kicked it into 2 Low, and pushed on up the trail.

The next obstacle was "Axle Hill."
IMG_0436.jpg

For the most part everyone was able to get through trouble fee. I was able to limp it up the first face, and then pulled cable to help with the top climb.

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

Just after Axle Hill, is "The Rock Pile". A large undercut ledge, that forces you to stack rocks to make it up. With the front end already broke, I figured I had nothing to lose. Ryan tossed some rocks under, and said he'd get me as far up as possible and then pull line. I lined up, and throttled down. Much to my surprise I clawed my way up unassisted. The locker however was not happy about it, but it pulled though.

Daryl on Rock Pile.
IMG_0450.jpg

The last obstacle was "Yellow Hill," a steep face that you had to climb up to exit Pritchett Canyon.
IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

We all made it out, and set out for the ~16mile KOH road back to the high way. It feels good to be able to cross Pritchett Canyon off the list, and I will definitely run it again.

Last edited:
Thursday: Thursday was scheduled to be an easy day, and I think we all needed it after the day before. We went out to breakfast in the morning, and then cruised over to the vendor show. The vendor show was free to the public, and had vendors from all over the country displaying their products.

Daryl and I wandered around for a few hours, scoping out new purchases, and filling our bags with free swag. I was hoping I could track down a locker, but ended up empty handed.

Back at the cabin I sealed up the front end. In two wheel drive the locker had no power getting to it, so it was fine to run for the drive home.
IMG_0466.jpg

Later in the day we cruised up to Potato Salad Hill just outside town for some entertainment.

4484 Ultra 4 car came out. Yes, that's a 12 year old driving.
IMG_0471.jpg

For Goblazers_6.
IMG_0474.jpg

Ben Napier in the 4461 Bomber Fab buggy. Music to the ears.
IMG_0480.jpg

With Potato Salad Hill being just outside town, you get a lot of people out there. I can honestly say I wasn't a bit surprised to see the "Party Patrol" out there.
IMG_0490.jpg

Or the crew cab race...
IMG_0503.jpg

Avanteone
IMG_0496.jpg

The new Bent Metal Customs buggy. It was displayed at the swap meet back in March.
IMG_0498.jpg

For Goblazers_6. I think I caught the passenger digging for gold.
IMG_0505.jpg

The hill closes at 8pm, and the Sheriffs were on hand to enforce it. It was fun to watch, but no real excitement while we were there.
IMG_0507.jpg

more to come...

Last edited:
Friday rolled around quicker than I had hoped. We decided to take it easy and go explore Area BFE for the day. Maybe hike in to see the iconic "Upper Helldorado" trail.

On the way in to BFE.
IMG_0513.jpg

The land was purchased awhile back in order to save the trails which were on it. The goal was to have it open 365 days a year, and have it available free of charge. Of course it's run off donations, so we stopped and picked up some shirts and stickers, and gave a few extra bucks as thanks. I believe someone mentioned BFE stood for "Bought For Everyone," which is pretty neat. Then there's the other meaning...
IMG_0515.jpg

We headed down into the canyon, and found Upper Helldorado. We knew we were in the right spot when we found the "Wall of Paint." Roof sliders would be a must for an XJ to get through.
IMG_0518.jpg

The trail was empty when we hiked in, but shortly after the buggies started rolling in.
IMG_0525.jpg

Monster 4runner on 47's.
IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

The "Waterfall", a good 15ft vertical ledge.
IMG_0542.jpg

Even with stickies you just can't crawl the Waterfall.
IMG_0536.jpg

The lineup. Notice the first XJ skinned buggy?
IMG_0551.jpg

Of the six buggies who attempted the waterfall, two broke, and they all winched. We had high hopes for the 4484 and 12 year old behind the wheel.
IMG_0559.jpg

Kids got skills.

We headed back after, walked through town for a few hours, and then started getting ready for the 1000 mile drive home. I wanted to take the drive easy, and get an early start so 0330 on Saturday I rolled out of Moab.

Much to my surprise the Jeep drove great (a lot to ask after the abuse it saw the past week). Outside of Ogden I was passed by two trucks with buggies on the back. For the next 12 hours we crossed paths at least half a dozen times. Twin Falls, Boise, Baker City, Hermiston, and Cascade Locks. At first we exchanged head nods, then waves, and by the gorge it was hands out the window and rock on!
IMG_0563.jpg

One state down.
IMG_0562.jpg

Two states down.
IMG_0566.jpg

I hit the gorge around sunset which put a perfect end to this trip.
IMG_0570.jpg

Hope you guy's enjoyed the trip report. I know a lot of people asked for a detailed write-up. I wish a lot of you could have been there. If you've ever thought about going to Moab, just do it. I'm already debating on heading back next year.

Last edited:
Moab is awesome, I'm pretty bummed we missed it this year but there was no way Victor and I could leave for a week to go down there after KOH. I think the POR guys are one of the few groups that I would try Pritchett with, they really know what they are doing and I think having Sam's wife riding with me last year made sure they were precise with the spotting.:D

-Alex

I only have one question for you..

Again next year?
I'm at a cross roads with my junk. I couldn't have asked for more out of it on this trip. It turned over 269,000 on the drive home, averaged 18mpg on the highway, and took me on some of the best trail in Moab. Even with a broken front locker it still got me out of Pritchett under my own power. It took Moab like a champ, but I know it's time is coming. Kinda like an old dog.

However, I'm already thinking about next year. Maybe I'll run the TORXmobile again another year, or maybe I'll start on TORX2.0 this winter. Who knows...

Either way, I'd highly recommend Moab. It's just something you have to do.

great pics, this is the 4th time in 28yrs i've missed EJS. i decided to try something different this yr.

IMG_0551.jpg

its funny i know every one of them guys, the kid driving casey's 4484 car is practicing for a comp he's driving in may. they have been playin every weekend to get him ready. and the XJ skinned buggy of rawlins actually had Cadillac skins on it til it burnt down. then me and a few others talked him into ben hanks old XJ skins :D

I've been waiting for this report!!! Thanks for sharing dustin!!

Thanks for the report. Looks like you really had a great time in the desert. See.... its a whole other beast. I kind of missed wheeling down there as I followed your report. Thanks for sharing the memories and helping to remember some of mine.

Back