• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSF CPS Run: 3/5

nightfoam

NAXJA Forum User
Really didn't take too many pictures, I've still got video to work on...

What powerline looked like.

powerline.jpg

Then we came to the road. And found a tree down.

blockedroad1.jpg

About the time we rolled up on this tree, Aarons Jeep died.
We weren't sure what was wrong so we got to work getitng the tree out of the way. Only to find another one just around the corner

blockedroad2.jpg

No problem for Jason on his friend Smittybilt.

blockedroad3.jpg

AAANNNDDD this is as far as we made it before we got the call to turn around and come back down to help Aaron.

endofroad.jpg

Hey look, a new CPS

cps.jpg

Re: TSF - 3/5

Here's the only pic I got. Jason on a section of the tie in trail to Power line.

2011-03-05093745.jpg

Here is a link to the accompanying video. Click on the image below.

TSF 3/5

Met up with Aaron, and Jason at McDonalds in North Plains. We convoyed to Rogers from there.

There was quite a bit of snow on the sides of 6 on the way up. Rogers had been plowed, and a good 4 foot wall surrounded the parking area. We aired down, picked up another rig, and headed off for Powerline to get a feel for the conditions.

Once we got off the plowed road, the thick oatmeal snow quickly got interesting. There wasn't much on the ground maybe a foot, but it was very wet and heavy. I was breaking trail, and I could feel a good amount of resistance coming off the front end.
IMG_0001.jpg

Once we got on Powerline, the real fun started. We all took some time to get adjusted to the conditions. It took some wheel speed to get around a few corners, but once we got out in the open, it was all about flotation.
IMG_0002.jpg

Jason's first time to TSF. What better way to give him the tour than in the snow?
IMG_0006.jpg

After a good fight to get out of the trees some pressures were adjusted. I went ahead and broke trail.
IMG_0010.jpg

After waiting for a bit, I decided to hike back and check on them.
IMG_0011.jpg

Progress was slow.
IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Once everyone regrouped at my position, some pressures were once again adjusted. That seemed to make a big difference, and the "wheel speed" tactic was changed to "crawl" tactic. Together both seemed to make a big difference. I let Jason pass me at the end of the first section, and let him take a shot at breaking trail just for the heck of it. For being on 32's and locked in the rear, he did really well.

Eventually just before the second section started we came to a downed tree. At that point Aaron's Jeep randomly died on him. While some created a path around the tree, a few of us tried to get his Jeep running with no luck. It was decided that we had better get him turned around and back to Rogers.

The ditch seemed to be a magnet for some. :D
IMG_0017.jpg

It took a bit of winching, a few tugs, and four hours, but eventually we got him back to Rogers. I got to commend everyone for staying calm. We took our time, tried a few options, but eventually got a plan together that worked out quite nicely (Aaron perpendicular to the road, I winched the back side, while Jason winched the front, and it spun his Jeep perfectly).

After a trip to NAPA, we had a CPS, and went to work changing it out. Two nicely built Early Bronco's rolled in, and must have heard Aaron cussing like a sailor at the CPS. After a bit of chatting Aaron had found his Jeep a ride home. :)
IMG_0019.jpg

Very cool of the guy to let Aaron drive the tow rig home, while followed in the trail rig. Maybe give him a shout out on his clubs Facebook?

All in all, in 13 hours we managed to drive to TSF, complete one section of Powerline, and drive back. Definitely, a memorable trip. I still had fun though playing in the snow.

All the pictures were great it was fun to relive the crazyness of Saturday although I look foward to more foward progress. I think in the snow it would be great to have a front locker to pull me out of things it was a huge problem like Dustin mentioned my ass end kept sliding into the ditch. Also wider tires that are sipped would help and some lower gears all of which are in the works for my Jeep. I still had a good time all in all.

Thanks Dustin,Ryan,Aaron and everyone else that was there.

Finished my video. Took longer than expected for various reasons and for that I appologize. Just click the image

Back