• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dr. Dirt is in surgery

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
From another thread, I am refurbishing this, again. I originally built this 40yrs ago for a friend and about 10yrs ago purchased it for my son. 6yrs ago I built a 1955cc stroker for it and installed a small 32/36 Weber progressive on it to limit the HP. Now it's getting a 48 IDF to fully maximize the HP. Besides a lot of custom fitting I also had a lot of modifying to do. This is only the beginning as there are a lot more plans for it. Got the intake system all painted and started the re-do.
P1080837(1).JPG

P1080836.JPG

P1080835.JPG

P1080838.JPG

P1080841.JPG

P1080839.JPG

P1080840.JPG

Very cool.

What year is that?

I see wide 5 wheels, but large tail lights.

It has been a number of decades, but Bugs are what I initially learned to wrench on. They always needed work. Always needed a valve adjustment, a brake adjustment and an oil change.

It's a '68 body on a earlier pan with a '59 title(historic registration w/ no emisions). It's has 4 wheel racing disc brakes so no adjustment in 40 yrs! It has a half cage (welded in) and used to have a fuel cell inside. Like I said in my other post it was built as a pre-runner for the Mint 400 and other races, we used to race class 1 unlimited.

Today I worked on a relocation bracket for the coil.

This was before....
20180415_111654_zpskrxmhlkx.jpg

And this is where it was, I'll install it tomorrow when the paint is dry.
P1080842.JPG

P1080843.JPG

P1080844.JPG

Got the coil mounted this morning. Now I'm waiting on the black braided hose and a #4AN to 10mm carb fitting (due today) so I can install the compact filter and get this engine running again and get on to the next project (transaxle gearing).
P1080845.JPG

P1080846.JPG

P1080847.JPG

I got it done and running, now I need to figure out how to get my wide-band sensor on it (temporary)to begin the tuning.
P1080848.JPG

My O2 adapter isn't pretty but it gets the job done. I think there is a distributor problem so I'm looking in to that. The motor build only has about 1k miles on it and it has new big valve heads, a forged chromoly crankshaft, and chromoly H-beam rods.
P1080849.JPG

WP_20140706_004_zps53e247f0.jpg

WP_20140615_001_zps02aa0496.jpg

Is this thing fuel injected, or does this O2 sensor somehow adjust fueling through carburetors? I'm a little unclear on exactly what such a simple engine needs that sensor for...

No it's carbureted, the meter is a portable Air/Fuel meter so that I can tune the jetting. The distributor has a advance issue and so since I don't even know anybody with distributor machine I won't even attempt to work on it. I have ordered a up-grade, the old ignition module was a Compufire and a Bosch 009 with a Bosch blue coil which isn't made any longer. What I have ordered is Empi's new version of the 009 and a Pertronix Ignitor III ignition module along with a Flame-thrower coil. The ignition module contains a rev limiter, self tuning dwell and timing. The coil is rated at 45K volts.
P1080850.JPG

I just received my new collector, distributor, and ignition module( I receiver the coil yesterday). Now to get more done, probably send the collector out for re-chroming if I add a O2 bung. I am going to add a Supertrapp muffler to it.
P1080851.JPG

P1080854.JPG

I tig welded the bung in Sunday and dropped the new collector off yesterday for re-chroming. The Supertrapp isn't due in for a couple weeks so I'm working on other issues in the mean time. Still having tuning issues so I've ordered a bunch of jets, emulsion tubes, and I'm trying to get a hold of some smaller venturis.

I don't usually deal outside the states, but the venturis were only available from Prague,Czech !!! All I have to do now is wait for everything to get here.

Parts are starting to arrive so I started with the new battery cables, I will have to finish them in the car. I'm using a hydraulic press so I know the connections are good along with sealing heat shrink.
P1080855.JPG

P1080856.JPG

Yesterday I received the venturis and got all the jets, emulsion tubes changed out. The venturis looked great and I'm considering some 34's, but I won't know that until I can put my AFR meter on it. It's running a lot better but I'm still waiting on the collector from the chrome shop and the Supertrapp before I can get started on fine tuning. In the mean time I'll be working on all the new electrical wiring to replace the 60yr old factory stuff.
P1080858.JPG

P1080859.JPG

Got my collector back from the chrome platers, it's done right this time! Super-trapp is due in any time and I'll polish it as needed.
P1080862.JPG

P1080863.JPG

Got the collector installed, new battery cables done plus a battery disconnect, and made a fusible-link for the alternator. They say now that the Supertrapp muffler is still 2 weeks out.
P1080864.JPG

I wanted to try some new 7" sealed beams, so I decided on some Sylvania Zevo's. They are led projector beams, my second choice would have been Trucklites, but they had their own issues so I settled ion the Zevo's.
P1080865.JPG

I needed a new engine breather and I just happen to have one from my old business. I'm polishing it out and will re-configure the vent locations.

Well that didn't work, so ....
P1080867.JPG

I finally finished up the breather box and man it looks better than any one the thousands I sold (had to touch up my logo with a dremel). I drilled/tapped and used SS O2 plugs to fill the existing ports up and added the 45* out the bottom. All the guts were gone so I fabbed a new diffusor/separator and cut some new foam.
P1080869.JPG

P1080870.JPG

P1080871.JPG

P1080872.JPG

Back