• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any ideas?

shadow31

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I'm new here and just thought I'd say hi first of all. I just got my first car (an '86 XJ of course :)) and am absolutely thrilled. I keep getting caught daydreaming in class and designing safari racks haha. Yes I'm only 16 but I'm a proud XJ owner and I know a thing or two about jeeps. I also know how to turn a wrench lol.

But enough about me, I wanna know what you guys think I should do with my XJ. I'd like to get some ideas on what I should buy and how I should go about building it up. Right now it's basically stock. It's a 1986 Cherokee Laredo with the offroad package and the 4-cylinder.

What should I buy? What should I buy first that will be good quality but will fit a teenagers budget (so nothing too expensive like air lockers or something lol. that'll come eventually)? I'm planning on getting tires and a lift first. Is that a good idea? Also, what brands should I look for or stay away from? I'm building a roof rack and bumpers with my older brother who's also a jeeper so I won't be buying those.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
use craigslist and mostly naxja to buy used parts to get a decent 3" lift pieced together for dirt cheap, just wait and be patient for the parts.
at 3" you get your feet wet and hopefully wont need a sye or have to mess with the steering too much,
use local picknpulls for things like tranny coolers and zj v8 tie rods and skids.
roofracks are great if youre more of a camping/expedition guy.
and a nice tuneup.
you can get 31's on craigslist all the time for under 200$.

First (as hard as this may sound) I'd do nothing.
Drive it through all four seasons, make sure it's mechanically sound and will haul your carcass where ever, when ever you need to be.

Hard to think about doing at 16 - but your really going to want a well functioning vehicle, the lift and tires will not do ya' any good if your heap is dead in the drive way sitting on 31's

I've done that (listened to my own advice that is) and taken a heap 89 I bought for $200 - brought it back from the dead and now that I know it's 100% (99% maybe... do I hear 95%..... HA!) I can safely lift it and make her look "tough"

It took me three years to wrench and repair, flat tow to garages when I can't get it done my self, it's been HUGELY aggravating but now it's been well worth the effort - 'cuz I KNOW it's gonna get me to hell and back - no issues.

So my advices is - make it 100% mechanical first - then make it pretty later.

Welcome tot he board.
:us:

First (as hard as this may sound) I'd do nothing.
Drive it through all four seasons, make sure it's mechanically sound and will haul your carcass where ever, when ever you need to be.

Hard to think about doing at 16 - but your really going to want a well functioning vehicle, the lift and tires will not do ya' any good if your heap is dead in the drive way sitting on 31's

I've done that (listened to my own advice that is) and taken a heap 89 I bought for $200 - brought it back from the dead and now that I know it's 100% (99% maybe... do I hear 95%..... HA!) I can safely lift it and make her look "tough"

It took me three years to wrench and repair, flat tow to garages when I can't get it done my self, it's been HUGELY aggravating but now it's been well worth the effort - 'cuz I KNOW it's gonna get me to hell and back - no issues.

So my advices is - make it 100% mechanical first - then make it pretty later.

Welcome tot he board.

I would aggree with you on keeping it stock through all 4 seasons, making sure its mechanicaly sound....buuuuut......if u are impatient like i am i jus started throwing stuff at it...granted i had money from the army to do things to it....Rubicon Lifts are always nice...decent price i did 4'5" lift with some frinds n 33's with 4.56 gears....but seeing how u need to do things cheap, i wouldnt go over 4", cuz then u run into getting a SYE kit, extended driveline n brake lines....do like he said, go on craigs list or even ebay sometimes....or even better yet look on here for budget boost lift kits...keep it as simple and as cheap as u can....and most important, do research on EVERYTHING u buy or decide to buy....as there is always better deals floating around

Dude I would wheel it like it sits for a bit. I did this with my first commanche and I appreciate anything I did to it after that. And you can get a cheap 3in. lift for like 300 bucks on ebay and do some fender trim if you wanna get it beefed up.

Dude I would wheel it like it sits for a bit. I did this with my first commanche and I appreciate anything I did to it after that. And you can get a cheap 3in. lift for like 300 bucks on ebay and do some fender trim if you wanna get it beefed up.

Thanks for all the input. I would do that but the tires are old as dirt and are gonna blow any minute so i'm either gonna get some cheap all terrains until i can lift it or just do light driving until I get the lift and then get tires and lift in one deal. I would like to drive it through all seasons like you guys said but there's still that tire problem. I figure if I'm buying tires I might as well get the tires I want. I just need a lift to do that lol.

This just goes to show you how old I feel. I am 34 and getting my first XJ and just as excited as you. I have learned and hope I can do it, Drive it for a few to work out all the little issues. Have it running good stock, off road stock so you develop your skills ect… Then have fun. Even at 34 I am thinking about Lifts, Tires ect… My son is 5 and is just as excited about this project, LOL

Just be patient. I realize it has to run like new before I can do anything I want.

Yah that's a great idea,
Driving directions from Maple Valley, WA to Pinion Hills CA

1,148 mi – about 17 hours 50 mins ONE WAY!!!!!!
:doh:

Or how much do you think shipping would be for 4 tires @ 1,200 miles?

PASS

the tires are old as dirt and are gonna blow any minute so i'm either gonna get some cheap all terrains
Stop right there, stop thinking like a kid ... (ooops my bad.... :rolleyes: )
I'll not repeat my self, listen to the advice you asked for or don't but can you really afford to throw good money after bad if it S.T.B.?

:rtm: off road stock so you develop your skills
More good information, good luck with what ever you do.
When you parts it out give me a call.

Almost hate to say it, but you might want to throw some cheapo stock size tires on that critter and do like the others have recommended--drive it to see if it is what you really want.

I'm not sure how much you want to invest in an xj with a 4-banger. If you add too much weight in accessories and bigger tires you might find that you are somewhat underpowered.

Oh man I did not see that it was a 4 banger.

Me - I'd sell it and find a 6 - I detest 4 Cyl 4x4 like the black plague - unless it's a Suzuki Samurai but I'm to freaking tall to fit in a Samurai.

Sorry shadow31 it may sound harsh but that's it for me. It would be a great daily driver, as a STOCK truck but you'd be way pissed at your self for sinking cash in to an anemic 4 cylinder.

Good luck with your decision, but for me I'd dump it and start with something I'd be happy to start.
No amount of lip stick will make the pig look any better than it already is.
:farmer:

Back