• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trails

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
This event will have trails for everyone - stock to heavily modified. There will be runs for 1st timers as well.

As time gets closer we will have more information on which trails will be open.

Final trails will be announced at drivers meetings on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

All participants must sign the NAXJA release and all vehicles must have the required equipment:

Visibly charged fire extinguisher (BC or ABC)
First aid kit
Adequate spare tire, jack and lug wrench
Safety belts for driver and any current passenger
Adequate attachment points in the front and rear of the vehicle:
  • Acceptable forms of attachment points: (All Items must be mounted in a manner to provide adequate strength and integrity)
  • Tow hooks of OEM or greater integrity
  • D-Rings
  • Shackle/Clevis
20ft 10,000lb snatch strap without any metal hooks
Secured battery (no bungee cords)

A CB radio is highly recommended.

Certain trails may have increased minimum requirements such as lift, tire size, and lockers.

And here are a few lines from the NAXJA By-Laws:

Alcoholic beverages and other controlled substances are prohibited while driving on or off-road. This includes consumption prior to an Event. Failure to comply will result in dismissal from the Event and shall constitute grounds for termination of Membership.

Attendees bringing pets shall control them at all times.

Attendees shall exercise discretion in the use of vulgar, profane, and/or potentially offensive language during the course of all Events. In the event of a complaint regarding language, the determination of the Trail Master or attending Director shall be final and binding, and shall be rendered impartially.

I think we should start talking about the trail runs now. IMO, last year was a clusterf*** because the runs weren't announced til Saturday morning. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who are not that familiar with Big Bear. People were rushing up to me last year asking if their rigs could run Deep Creek. I had to tell a few people "No". Then they're scrambling to find another run to do.

I'm ass-uming that there will be at least three runs - Gold Mountain, Deep Creek, and John Bull. Gold Mountain being the "easier" run, Deep Creek "medium" and John Bull "more difficult".

Holcomb Creek is still closed unfortunately.

We should also line up some trail leaders. I would volunteer, but I'm tired of hearing people complain about my leadership abilities. :) Besides, my Jeep won't meet the equipment requirements. So I'll be off doing my own thing.

I think we should start talking about the trail runs now. IMO, last year was a clusterf*** because the runs weren't announced til Saturday morning. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who are not that familiar with Big Bear. People were rushing up to me last year asking if their rigs could run Deep Creek. I had to tell a few people "No". Then they're scrambling to find another run to do.

I'm ass-uming that there will be at least three runs - Gold Mountain, Deep Creek, and John Bull. Gold Mountain being the "easier" run, Deep Creek "medium" and John Bull "more difficult".

Holcomb Creek is still closed unfortunately.

We should also line up some trail leaders. I would volunteer, but I'm tired of hearing people complain about my leadership abilities. :) Besides, my Jeep won't meet the equipment requirements. So I'll be off doing my own thing.

X2 Johnny......SANTA

I'm hoping that a few of the roads they close for the winter will open up.
2n93( or something like that) that skirts Sugarloaf Mt. looks like a cool dirt road run.
I'm planning on hiking and mt. biking and maybe doing some fishing during the event too.
I'll lead a Mt. Bike run, or a fishing run, or even a hiking trip!

:D

good point Johnny.

We need to find out what trails are open/closed.

Some of the possibiliteis inlcude:

Gold Mountian
John Bull
Deep Creek
our adopt-a-trail
and some scenic/easy runs

we will need trail leaders for each run

give the BOD a few days to find out what is open and then we can post up the possible trails with ratings & requirements.

Last edited:
I am considering running over to pioneertown. Long haul in the dirt, but I want to see something new. I mapped it out, looks like about 45 miles of god knows what kind of dirt and rock...round trip.

If its what i expect ( a semi graded road), I would want to run it quick and dirty so we have time to have lunch in town and then see how much time there is for the drive back.

I figured on running out there on burns canyon rd and coming back on pipes rd.

Has anybody ever run those roads??

I am considering running over to pioneertown. Long haul in the dirt, but I want to see something new. I mapped it out, looks like about 45 miles of god knows what kind of dirt and rock...round trip.

If its what i expect ( a semi graded road), I would want to run it quick and dirty so we have time to have lunch in town and then see how much time there is for the drive back.

Has anybody ever run those roads??

I think you can run down 2N01 and then hit a different trail down to Pioneer town. Never ran it, but it has got to be pretty cool.

I

Pipes Canyon road no longer exists as a through road. It ends at the border with the Wildlands Conservancy land.

Ends as in gated/locked/not supposed to go in there, or ends as in washed out/difficult?

If its due to the Wildlands, then I guess I could run the same road both directions.

Ends as in there is a locked gate at the FS boundary and the Wildlands Conservancy took a bulldozer and ripped out the road that went across their property.

How bad do you want to go to Pioneertown.

I've been trying to set up a big loop that would be a fun, mild run. I'm having a little difficulty avoiding a bunch of highway miles.

What's so great about Pioneertown? I go there every Sunday for church. :dunno:

:D

I ran Smarts Ranch Road (3N03) to Burns Canyon Road (2N02) today, pretty basic stuff, kinda got bored. Overall had a fun time but theres not to much out there. I tried to find Burns Canyon Road off of Baldwin Lake Road and it seems to be closed to vehicles. Thought i let you know what i found, and ill post some pics of the trip later.

I ran Smarts Ranch Road (3N03) to Burns Canyon Road (2N02) today, pretty basic stuff, kinda got bored. Overall had a fun time but theres not to much out there. I tried to find Burns Canyon Road off of Baldwin Lake Road and it seems to be closed to vehicles. Thought i let you know what i found, and ill post some pics of the trip later.

Did you run the whole way to the end of burns? Thats what I wanted to run, Smarts to Burns to Pioneertown.

Any news on trails? Will sign-ups be Saturday morning?

Any news on trails? Will sign-ups be Saturday morning?

There are no "sign-ups". We usually announce the trails and requirements and then folks line up.

Some of the trails will include the ones I mentioned before:

Gold Mountain
Deep Creek/Dishpan Springs
John Bull
Jacoby Canyon

Here are a couple of links with a littel info on some of the trails:

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Big_Bear#Trails_in_Big_Bear

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/documents/AdventuresBigBear4.pdf

Holcomb Creek is still closed due to the fires.

There are many options for easy/scenic runs. Hard runs are limited to John Bull and Deep Creek for now. Gold Mountain is a fun moderate trail.

See you all on Saturday!

Did you run the whole way to the end of burns? Thats what I wanted to run, Smarts to Burns to Pioneertown.

Ya i ran to the end of Burns and decided to take Pipes Road out, since i was heading to Johnson Valley. Not sure if i'll make it this weekend, but it would definately be a fun run down to Pioneer Town from Smarts, and then back up either Pipes, or Burns.

...We should also line up some trail leaders. I would volunteer, but I'm tired of hearing people complain about my leadership abilities. :) ...

Hmm, I wonder why that is????

IMG_1396.jpg

Hehe, just kidding, Johnny....I had a blast following ya!

Back