• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aluminum "Cherokee" trim pannels....any ideas??

ADVNTURR

I worry when rattles stop
Hey all,

My 91 is going in for a painting here in a couple weeks and I am looking to try and find replacement molding panels for the trim on the doors. I know it is aftermarket and I have been told that once they are removed they will be too mangled to reuse so I am desparetly trying to find some new ones. The are polished aluminum and say "Cherokee" on the front doors. If anyone has any idea where I could find them I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Could u post some pictures of what your talking about. Do you mean the emblems on the fender that say Cherokee, cause if that's the case you can get them off another one in the junkyard. Also, some of those aluminum pices are stronger then they look. I managed to get all of them off my Jeep with out braking any.

I know what you're talking about ... I've seen 'em ... but can't tell you where to get them. A lot of help I am ...

I was thinking of doing the following:

1. have some panels custom cut out of thick aluminum ... 3/16" or better ... whatever guage that equates to. Then use double-sided tape for adhesion---could be pricy solution though.

2. paint the lower section with special low-gloss or dull-coat paint that has a roughed appearance. A P&B shop told me it's the same stuff they use on newer vehicles ... helps keeps road-tar and crap off the lower panels. Then you can run a "Cherokee Chief" type pin stripe up from the side pods in the same color---just a thought.

I haven't decided yet ... I may just give it the Camo look and forget about it.

I plan on making some diamond plate peices to replace the molding on the doors. Which idiot at Chrysler decided red molding was a good idea on a green XJ? :sure:

Heck, mine fell off on their own. You guys just gotta drive around here in NH in the winter time for a while. That will help.They look perfect (not mangled) as long as the guy behind you doesn't run them over.

Back