• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ mirrors question

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 XJ was a surface involved in an..... "interaction" at the bar tonight.
I knew the side mirrors folded back, but did not know they also bend upwards and downwards.
I assume that's normal but just never tried to bend them like that, but someone I was bouncing from the bar's head showed me this is possible by accident when I was removing them and we ended up next to my Jeep parked by the front door.
Is that normal or is the mirror damaged now?????

I think we need video of the, um, interaction so that we can best evaluate the forces involved. :D

Does the mirror clip solidly back into position? If "yes", then I think you are fine. What you need to check for is that the plastic "hooks" that are responsible for holding the mirrors firmly in position are not broken or cracked. Being 23 year old plastic they are ony getting more and more prone to breaking. I would rock the mirror back and forth and look for movement on either side.

But I still want video. Or, lacking that, at least a blow-by-blow description of the event. And how did the head hold up to the mirror?

Back