• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my fall fling trip report

jmaxj

NAXJA Forum User
Monday-It all started at 7am when i get a phone call from josh (XJumpmaster) that he has a flat on his trailer a few miles from his house, that delayed our departure. we arrived in moab while everyone was out playing so we started getting the stuff together for the event.

Tues-Lead flat iron mesa. the day started with some rain then cleared up a bit. was a cold, windy but fun day. (forgot the camera)

Weds.-After waiting for cory's arrival a group of us unoffically went and ran the pickle and mashed potato trails, with a stop at tusher tunnel. it was mostly a race between me & wayne to see who was gonna lead. so we had a really good pace running down the bartlett wash rd, so good in fact that when we got to tusher tunnel bob's (Bloose) motor mount bolts were loose and he broke a shock. got him fixed up and off we went. on the first obstacle josh broke a U-joint which took out his axle shaft of course. got that fixed and and had a pretty smooth run through the rest of the trail and mashed potato.

Thurs-I was scheduled to lead cliff hanger but somehow josh ended up leading and i was tailgunning for him. once again not far into the run for the day and bob had a small problem with his charging system, so while him and wayne diagnosed the problem the group continued on. the weather was decent for most the day, a little cold and windy but decent. well on our way back down from the overlook we watched a nasty storm head our way with some force, which it hit us quick and hard. we had rain, hail and lots of rain. it wasn't that great of a day anymore. well on the way out rockinron and dennis decided to show us how to nearly flop an XJ. then after that ron broke his rear driveline on one of the final ledge climbs. then to keep with the excitement wayne, cory and I decided to race 3 wide up the final ledges of Cliff Hanger. all i can say is it was AWESOME!!!

Friday- I lead Fins n Things which i have not done in 5yrs or more, after getting a little confused on the "new" start of the second section we got on the right track. josh's wife Tamera and her friend Danielle took over his jeep for the day and it got dubbed the "vagina jeep" by them. so josh rode with me for the day, which worked out pretty good since he used my camera and took the pics :)

Saturday- We all ran hells revenge, i got a late start do to having to fix my inner "frame" around my steering box that that race on cliff hanger broke. so wayne took a group and headed out, i got fixed up and lead a second group not too far after. well lets just say hells revenge was popular that day. EVERYONE that was wheeling in moab i think was on that trail. it was a busy day. we caught up to wayne's group to find out that wayne had broke his sector shaft on his steering box and was headed to town to get a replacement. so a few stayed back to get him fixed up and the rest followed my group. we got to the overlook and hells gate where there were a few other groups messing around, we had lunch checked out the view then wandered over to hells gate to watch a couple rigs flop in it. the gate was wet enough that every rig not on full width axles was flopping, so we opted to bypass it. we did pretty good until we got the the hot tubs where Tim discovered that he had spit out a U-joint cap on the trail and had to change a shaft. so while he was doing that a few of us played in the carwash which was oddly a challenge with all the mud and water in it. after tim got all fixed up we moved on to escalator where a few of us gave it a shot, me and brian were the only ones to make it unassisted. tim got denied due to lack of rear locker in his MJ and josh made a decision to turn left half way through which lost his line and denied him. after that it was a smooth sailing ride to tipover challenge and out. a few of us went over to potato salad hill to mess around. tim and I made it but tim put on a better show with his near roll. josh and winston both got strapped up.

sunday- Since the event was over and most headed home me cory and a friend jeff went and ran upper helldorado and some other stuff. pretty much uneventful, no major carnage some minor scratching on our rigs is all. after that it was time to load up and head home.

all in all It was a great trip even though the weather didn't like us alot. i had tons of fun and met some new people, as well as hungout with some old friends. can't wait til next yr :cheers:

ok i'm done babbling on to the pics :D

the group at tusher tunnel
101_7237.jpg

parker gettin it on the pickle
101_7239.jpg

101_7242.jpg

parker's mild stroll
101_7243.jpg

and useless yapping :laugh3:
101_7244.jpg

led to this :D
101_7247.jpg

cory pimpin' the salmon shirt
101_7251.jpg

tim coming through the pickle obstacle
101_7252.jpg

Bob
101_7253.jpg

more to come..........

yes we did have a TJ with us
101_7257.jpg

me trying to climb out of the gravy bowl.
101_7261.jpg

josh getting strapped out of it :D
101_7263.jpg

tim had to take the way that get really close to the edge of a very long drop ( he got a bit nervous) :)
101_7264.jpg

so he got hooked on a strap for a little false sense of security.
101_7266.jpg

the entire group weaving our way across the mashed potato trail
101_7267.jpg

the group dropping into cliffhanger
101_7269.jpg

wandering up the trail
101_7273.jpg

heading across the shelf
101_7276.jpg

apparently i didn't take any pics of the group at the lunch stop o here we are heading back up.
101_7277.jpg

think this is the coolest pic i took all week.
101_7278.jpg

this is what was chasing us
101_7279.jpg

more to come.......

ron showing off
101_7280.jpg

cory's custom soft top made from a jacket
101_7281.jpg

tamera on fins n things
101_7287.jpg

jim climbing
101_7288.jpg

lunch with a view
101_7297.jpg

the group cruising down the slickrock
101_7298.jpg

tamera on kenny's climb
101_7304.jpg

jim on kenny's climb
101_7305.jpg

steve on kenny's climb
101_7306.jpg

our sunday helldorado group
101_7308.jpg

still more to come.....

cory a little flexy
101_7310.jpg

the squeeze was much easier with the back chopped
101_7316.jpg

101_7317.jpg

101_7319.jpg

101_7324.jpg

jeff on breakover rock
101_7330.jpg

cory on the waterfall
101_7334.jpg

101_7335.jpg

me up on the waterfall
101_7338.jpg

101_7341.jpg

jeff on it
101_7343.jpg

got a few new scratches
101_7347.jpg

and last but not least, here's how you haul a 44 housing in an XJ from colorado to moab :D
IMAG0163.jpg

the full album is here! enjoy.

then to keep with the excitement wayne, cory and I decided to race 3 wide up the final ledges of Cliff Hanger. all i can say is it was AWESOME!!!

This was the highlight of my trip! A little wheel stand and a bounce off of Dereks tire got me to the top. :D The first thing that went through my mind when I got to the top was "that was pretty stupid, I just destroyed my rig on the 2nd day. :) Somehow everything stayed together and I was good to go. :roflmao:

Back