• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MOTION OFF-ROAD

Dsichula

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone! I really need some help . I figured this was the best place to start . I’ve got a 1990 xj with a 6 inch long arm. I’ve got a motion off-road 1 Ton cross over y link steering kit. And the time has come to replace the y link. I’ve found out the tie rods are not upgraded to 1-ton and I’m having a hell of a time now that motion off-road is no longer in business . Need to get her back on the road ! Thanks

Id try modified tech as well, they may have more experience sourcing this stuff.

cross over y link steering

Crossover and Y-link steering are two different style of steering geometries. Saying "cross over y link" does not make sense.

Y-link is the geometry used from the factory where the drag link connects the pitman arm to the passenger side knuckle and the tie rod connects the driver side knuckle to the drag link.

With crossover geometry the drag link connects the pitman arm to the passenger side knuckle (in the same fashion) and the tie rod connects the two knuckles together, separate of the drag link.

replace the y link

Gotta get your terminology straight here because this does not describe a particular part. I'm guessing you're referring to the tie rod ends (TRE's) because you mention a 1-ton upgrade.

Refer to this picture below to better describe what you're after. This image does not actually highlight and label the TRE's but there are four of them in total: One at each end of the drag link and one at each end of the tie rod (driver's side at end of tie rod is not shown in picture). I want to clarify that the name "tie rod end" refers to the ball and socket style joint and does not necessarily mean it is on the end of the tie rod (i.e. the two on the drag link)

22ae549fd58a577f241167a27ca33b30.jpg

Back