• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

March Madness at Washita 3/26

OutkastBoss

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I invited some of you personally at WinterFest but wanted to make sure everyone that would be interested in coming gets the info!

This is a local club (Midwest Jeep Thing) event that I am attending and thought it would be cool to have some of my NAXJA family come out and enjoy. The event is being held at what was formerly Washita off-road park. The park was sold off and closed years ago but the guys at MWJT were able to get permission to host runs there a few times a year. This is private property and access is a special privilege. That means guided runs and respecting the property so MWJT can maintain access to these trails for everyone.

If you have never heard of Washita it should be noted that there is no easy trail and stock rigs are not really appropriate for the terrain. It can be done on a mildly modded rig but rocker damage is likely and you will spend time on your skids. It is located on the Taum Sauk range which features the highest point in Missouri.

Bald knob itself is the 2nd highest place in Missouri and about halfway up turns into volcanic rock some of which is pretty extreme. Because of the volcanic rock this is a rare place in Mo that is pretty clear of trees providing some amazing views.
There are some pics in my build thread and a good slideshow in this article.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/events/129-1003-wheelin-whashita-offroad-trails/

This is objective based wheeling You see bald knob from the entrance and spend the day getting up and back down. This means that there is no easy way to cut out early and overly unreliable rigs should not come because recovery can be time consuming and difficult.

Also the new property owners run a live fire tactical shooting school and are nice enough to shut down their long range target areas back where we wheel for the day. However punctuality is very important as the ranges up front where we stage reopen some time after the guided trail groups leave. This means you should commit to the day and DO NOT cross back across that field without the go ahead from event staff. If you plan to attend please read all of the comments in their event and click the link to register at Eventbrite it helps them make sure they have enough trail guides .

Here is the link to their FB event
https://www.facebook.com/events/1731054577205479/

Camp Hope Clean up the day before
Also for those interested they are doing a clean up the day before March Madness at Camp Hope. Camp hope is the adjoining property to Washita and is a wounded veterans camp set up in remembrance of a fallen Marine. Among many other activities they have a extreme 4x4 wheelchair and sometimes do trail runs to Bald knob in volunteer Jeeps (MWJT guys mainly). Anyway many of them volunteer at the camp the day before and stay in a local hotel if anyone is interested.

This seems kinda long but I wanted to be sure people knew what they were getting into!

Last edited:
Back