• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Storage ?

fasteddieyj

NAXJA Forum User
First off, yes I did search, but still have a few questions.
Am getting ready to have surgery on both carpal tunnels over the next few weeks and the XJ will be parked in the garage and not driven for probably 8-12 weeks. I will how ever be able to start it and let it run for a bit a few times in that time.
Was planning on putting it on jackstands and adding a can of fuel stabilizer to maybe 1/2 tank of gas.
Any thoughts on this plan? TIA for any responses.

Sounds like a good plan. Although for that short of time putting it on jack stands is a bit excessive. Good Luck on your surgery. My left wrist was done about 2 years ago and is still not right. Might have something to do with the compound fracture I had in that one when I fell 60 feet and tried to catch myself. My right hand is on hold till the snow gets too deep to go ice fishing.:)

I store my sports car during the winter months in an unheated garage. I fill the tank up full of gas (along with a can of HEET) to minimize potential condensation, pump the tires up to near max pressures to prevent flat spotting, and hook a Battery Tender smart charger to keep the battery fresh. If you have problems with mice, you may want to put a piece of steel wool in the tail pipe and air intake to prevent nesting (only if you're not able to start it up periodically like you plan to do). I have also found it helpful to throw a Bounce dryer sheet under each seat to keep things fresh on the inside. No problems what so ever using this method over several winters and a six month hiatus while I was overseas.

If you will be in a heated garage, I would just pump up the tires to prevent flat spotting. If you're able to start up the engine periodically and let it run for a while, the other things I mentioned should not be an issue.

Last edited:
go with what he said. You should be fine. I routinely store vehicle (including my XJ) for 2-3 month hiatuses. Jack stands are excessive, unless you have some super soft speciality tires (drag slicks, certain offroad only tires) A battery tender (trickle charger) is a god idea, however you cherokee will shut off the computer all together after 30 days of inactivity (factory preset to save the battery in storage) If you start the vehicle weeklya nd let it warm up, you should have no problems. Just make sure to fill the gas tank, and dump in some HEET or similar product.

Sounds like a good plan. Although for that short of time putting it on jack stands is a bit excessive. Good Luck on your surgery. My left wrist was done about 2 years ago and is still not right. Might have something to do with the compound fracture I had in that one when I fell 60 feet and tried to catch myself. My right hand is on hold till the snow gets too deep to go ice fishing.:)
The real kick in the a$$ for me is that the numbness has been going on for about 10 months. When it first started I also had 2 severely herniated disks in my neck. Three docs later and they all agreed that the numbness as well as sharp pains in my arms and hands were from the disks. Had double fusion surgery and that got rid of the pain, and the numbness went away temporarily, probably from lack of use for 2 months. The numbness came back and now, 3 more docs later, they all agree that surgery on both of them is the only solution now due to the amount of nerve damage present.
As for the advise, I'll skip the jackstands and just use the fuel stabilizer. Thanks again.

Back