• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Built a subwoofer/gear storage cabinet for the back of the XJ today...

Achmed

NAXJA Forum User
I woke up today and decided to work on the cargo area of the XJ. I drew up schematics and headed off to Lowes. I wanted to add another subwoofer and didnt really have the room with my current setup so I built a 3/4" MDF cabinet. On the top are (2) 12" subs. On the right is the amp and on the bottom is a flip down door with all my storage for gear. The cabinet is divided top from bottom inside so that the subwoofers have exactly the right amount of cubic air volume. The cabinet is bolted to the body and would take an act of God to remove it woithout unbolting it. I even left room on the left for my C02 setup and will be using N20 bottle brackets to bolt it to the side of the cabinet when I get it back from Trevor.

I will be carpeting it with something close to the OEM color next week.

Total cost: $35.00

DSC_0961.jpg

DSC_0962.jpg

DSC_0966.jpg

DSC_0967.jpg

DSC_0968.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like a nice setup and well put together. It does seem to make it very hard to fit anything else into the rear of the jeep though because of the size.

Actually, I can still fit my old 32"x14"x14" gear chest that I used to carry in front of the box (in between the new cabinet and the hatch). Like they say in New York, build "up", not "out". :D Real Estate in a Cherokee is precious, but who else do you know with a total of 30cu.ft. of available cargo space as well as a (2) 12" subwoofer cabinet in an XJ. And if I need to haul anything else, I have a 24"x48" cargo grate that plugs into the 2" receiver on my bumper. :)

how do you have it attached (metal plates inside the box for the bolts?)? Looks like good workmanship, but maybe a little top heavy. Be careful with the mdf, the bolts could tear through the bottom.

Looks good! The only thing that would bother me would be the ability to see out of the rear view.

Looks good! The only thing that would bother me would be the ability to see out of the rear view.

I agree with my Spare (35") on the rear tire carrier it drives me nuts not being able to see S*** on the trail.... That thing would make it ten times worse I think. I would have laid it flat, and made some sort of shelf on top of it.

looks good Chris! i like it...

Back