• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Box o' Rocks

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
90 XJ Laredo 4L Auto. 3" lift w/full packs. D35 rear, D30 front both 3.55 31" tires on steelies. 215K
Jeep starts, runs, rides great. Lots of power, decent mpg (appx. 17-19), no stumbles, shifts good, no out of ordinary clunks or squeaks. Pretty much a daily driver with a couple good off roading trips in the summer, some snow trips in the winter, nothing huge. Brakes fairly new, cooling system gone over and temps run in normal ranges, good electricals, all fluids changed regularly and look good.

PROBLEM: I drive to work, 8 miles down semi curvy road braking a few times traveling 40-50. Then 5 miles on flat straight country road going 55-65, one stop, then 5 miles on freeway going 60-70. I take the offramp, stop, turn left, accelerate THEN it sounds like I'm dragging a box o' rocks under my Jeep. This happens every day and I can't find anything or identify the sound. When I leave work, no problem, drive home, get to my road, SAME THING. It sounds like something binding and grinding but I can't find nuthin'.

Any clues? I need help!!

Pop the rear diff cover and see what falls out, inspect spider gears, possibly t-case if its a full time unit

Interesting, I have a 91 4.0 AW4, NP242 and lift. I changed the rear diff fluid about 2k miles ago, engine has high mileage oil and good filter, both about 2k miles as well. I run mobil, shell or sunoco 87 octane gas. I have this occurance when slowing down or idling. It sounds like it comes from the front end somewhere and usually will not happen until after a highway ride or 20 minutes or so of driving over 50 mph. I get the same sort of noise. It definately isn't brakes, it's not the fan rubbing on anything. I have yet to do the front diff, so that may be where I look next. After that I will try the trans- I'm sure a fluid flush couldn't hurt. Anyone have another suggestion? BTW, I am definately not losing power but my trans seems slightly sluggish- however, it's my first Jeep so I'm not sure how "tight" these usually are. I'll post if anything with the transmission helps hopefully tomorrow. Please email me with other suggestions.

hmmm, something to check- sounds closer to the front than that, but I'll certainly check it out.
Thanks

X3 on the cat, mines the same way, also sounds real bad when i shut it off, big time rattles, embarrassing at the gas station but i don't have the funds right now to replace it so i'll just live with it for now.

wheel bearings, turning changes the load on them, and it might only make noise when it's warm.

Back