• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i must be crazy

flexjay87

NAXJA Forum User
sittin here tryin to compose an e-mail for my boss. the deal is i have been in the service dept. for 13 years and thought i could switch over to an office job but am having 2nd thoughts, again. thats right, i have tried to do this job before(8 years ago) but couldn't take it. so why'd i try again, well i have been having some physical pain from arthritis, and one knee operation and once again thought maybe i'm ready to hang up the tools, but i have been having "anxiety " just like last time. my boss may come unglued. i only have 4 hrs. of training so far but am thinkin about pullin the plug. can't see myself happy in an office setting even after i learn what i need. of course the down side is i will not be able to do my old job someday because of pain,(i'm guessing) or whatever(heck i might get fired for this). man i don't know what to do. i'm just venting..... i guess, some will say suck it up either way, but don't know what i will do. i just figure anything that keeps me from getting any sleep, might need more thought. my wifes gonna think i'm crazy too, i would guess. oh yeah, right now she's with my boss's wife, who happens to be the one who will train me!! am i in a no win situation?

You'll be alright. Give it a month or two. If you still don't like/want to do it, see if there's something else for you. I've worked for the same company for 9 years now, and I've held 6 or 7 different positions in 4 different departments. At least it's good training and something to put on your resume.

thanks for the encouragement guys. i have my e-mail all made up, but have not sent it yet. even if i had the willingness to learn this new job, i doubt i would be happy at it. must be some deep seeded chacter flaw, spoiled at my current job, stubborn, set in my ways, on and on i guess. how i thought i could do data entry, and deal with the public plus a hectic schedule, i'll never know. it all sounds good on paper, steady work, climate controlled, good pay, on and on, but i would not be happy i'm sure. if someday my health gets worse real fast ,guess i'll be a wal-mart greeter, sad really.........

Does it mean a pay increase? Think of it in Jeep terms, more pay = more parts. Then you can use your new parts to go fourwheeling and relieve the stress that you get from the new job position.

I suppose it depends on what you are doing. An inside environment is a lot different than a shop but being an arthritis sufferer myself I think I prefer the office. I am the parts department supervisor for a construction equipment dealer and my newest guy starts on an order desk tomorrow after having been one of our service techs and leaving that job for the same reason as you. Once he learns our business system and the various information resources I think he'll be the best in my department. Though he has to start out with a pay cut he'll feel better at the end of the day and will likely be able to work longer. And in my company at least (20 stores in just this division of the corporate group), the opportunities are endless for a guy who wishes to move on to bigger & better things.

Back