• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jerry can and license plate brackets for swing-out tire carrier

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a Detours Slimline rear bumper with the swing-out carrier (friggin love it), and have finally reached a point where I need to carry a single 5-gallon jerry can with me... Have a trip to Big Shell/Little Shell coming up and don't want to take any chances.

If I were to mount the jerry can on the passenger side of the arm, it'd completely block my license plate, so I need to come up with a bracket and light solution for it as well.

Anyone else here found or made their own jerry can holders for a similar swing-out? I believe the main arm is 1.5" x 2" box tube (pretty thick stuff I would guess), and I have no qualms with welding things directly to it if needed.

Please post pics of your setup and any details about where you got your holder and/or license plate bracket and I'd really appreciate it. Looks like Warrior Products has a decent option, minus the fact that it can be easily unscrewed by hand.

I just got a piece of angle iron and made a holder to slide it into. License plate was attatched with a couple tabs to the tube and the factory light was still close enough to illuminate it at night.

27756_508044150554_7663858_n_zps84634915.jpg

36212_508233042014_1686183_n_zpsf2897ac4.jpg

I just got a piece of angle iron and made a holder to slide it into. License plate was attatched with a couple tabs to the tube and the factory light was still close enough to illuminate it at night.

That's a good call - didn't even think about setting the plate up like that to leverage the factory plate light. Might look into upgrading the factory lights to LED units for a bit more output to avoid unwanted "probable cause" stops, but that should be an easy mod. Definitely going to keep that in mind. At this point I think I've conceived a way to do something like that whilst allowing it to be bolt-on... To the drawing board!

Would something like the Daystar Cam Can setup help you?

http://www.daystarweb.com/productdetail.php?productID=1219

If not, then the above mod looks like it would work.
That's actually a pretty clever setup. Most of the spare mounts I'd seen didn't appear to include lug extensions, which made me rule them out based on the fact that I'm running Moabs. Only caveat is the 2 gallon capacity, and the fact that I've got a Trasheroo on the way since I forget to bring garbage bags 4 out of every 5 times I go camping.

I like the ideas, keep 'em coming - I'll use this thread to detail what I end up doing once it's finalized. Just need to buy a cold cut saw or a vertical belt sander before doing it.

I just copied this idea for $15 worth of steel and parts:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12526_1030.htm

True its not theft proof using just hitch pins to secure the license plate to the bottom plate, but its not like the 4 bolts holding it to the rear hatch were either.

As for the light I haven't done anything yet, but if I ever get pulled over for it I'll throw an LED on there I guess.

Back