• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back storage box?

Hubbazoot

NAXJA Forum User
Right now in the back of my jeep I have an old wooden box that carries all my off road gear and then I have my spare tire laying next to it on the other side. The problem I have is that I don't like having the box have an open top for safety and I also don't want everyone able to see into my storage box.

I'm planning on building a new storage box. Does anyone have any sort of drawer assembly pictures in back for inspiration?

I have a steel drawer exactly like you're talking about, the spare tire can sit on top of it (up to 33" I think). If you were closer I'd sell it to you cheap. It fits perfectly between the wheel wells, has the four stock floor tie downs mounted on the four corners on top, has three compartments inside. It's on heavy duty slides, works perfectly. Was custom made for the back of the XJ.

Right now in the back of my jeep I have an old wooden box that carries all my off road gear and then I have my spare tire laying next to it on the other side. The problem I have is that I don't like having the box have an open top for safety and I also don't want everyone able to see into my storage box.

I'm planning on building a new storage box. Does anyone have any sort of drawer assembly pictures in back for inspiration?

the mother of all cargo area threads

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=938281&highlight=rear+cargo+area

Here's the idea I came up with today during lunch (no pics, just a description).
The base to it will be 48" by 32" and divided into three sections widthwise, each 16 inches wide and 10 inches high. The two sections on the right side would be 10 inch high storage drawers (not real drawers, just box in a hole type design) and the left side would be a "cubbie" that would be 20 inches high. On top of the two right portions I'd put my spare tire, and then mount my high lift on top of that. I'm still pondering how I'll handle the spare tire (I can't decide whether/how to enclose it).

and the left side would be a "cubbie" that would be 20 inches high. On top of the two right portions I'd put my spare tire, and then mount my high lift on top of that. I'm still pondering how I'll handle the spare tire (I can't decide whether/how to enclose it).

20 inches high seems to be too high and there would be wasted space unless you stack things in there or carry jack stands. i use milk crates to carry stuff because its about the right height to carry coolant bottles and 1 gallon oil containers.

20 inches high seems to be too high and there would be wasted space unless you stack things in there or carry jack stands. i use milk crates to carry stuff because its about the right height to carry coolant bottles and 1 gallon oil containers.

I plan on using that space to put my fluids in. I may also use it to store my tool box. Mainly I want to bring it up to level to be able to put stuff on top of it.

Mine's pretty big, and it's 12" high. It's also pretty heavy with the stuff I carried in it, and it was a challenge finding a way to latch it so the drawer didn't bang around on the trail. You have to open it at times when you're not sitting flat on the trail (most of the time), and it can be a bear to deal with if it's too heavy.

Mine's pretty big, and it's 12" high. It's also pretty heavy with the stuff I carried in it, and it was a challenge finding a way to latch it so the drawer didn't bang around on the trail. You have to open it at times when you're not sitting flat on the trail (most of the time), and it can be a bear to deal with if it's too heavy.

That's part of the reason I'm goig to do two drawers. I just have to figure out a way to make sure the drawers are securely shut while I'm on the trail.

Back