• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailers

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
A lot of times the lower $$ new trailers aren't painted on the bottom, and the wires are ran through ragged holes in the frame.

Personally, I'm cheap. I'd rather find a used trailer, put a few bucks in it and go. It also depends on how often you're going to use it. Weekly? Then a new one would be better in the long run. Twice a year? Why spend $$$ on something that will sit most of the time.

The one for $2300 have lifetime LED lights and all the wiring is ran through conduit. If I find a good used for 1k then I'll go that route but if the best I can find is 1500+ why not spend another 500 and get something brand new.

A lot of times the lower $$ new trailers aren't painted on the bottom, and the wires are ran through ragged holes in the frame.

Personally, I'm cheap. I'd rather find a used trailer, put a few bucks in it and go. It also depends on how often you're going to use it. Weekly? Then a new one would be better in the long run. Twice a year? Why spend $$$ on something that will sit most of the time.

100% agree. Look for deals - someone is bound to have one that has only been used once or twice and wants it out of their life, for cheap.

Personally, I am not a fan of wood deck and stake pockets. The wood is typically cheap and doesn't last. Stake pockets pinch the strap - there is a lot of tension put on that strap. Drill some holes and bolt (or weld) some beefy D-rings on.

My .02 cents.

I looked at used and found junk. I bought new, upgraded to radial tires and haven't looked back.

The only problem with any trailer is the paint goes to shit quick. My trailer is powder coated, which in hindsight is a bad idea for a trailer, every ding turns into a crack in the coating, then rust.

Make sure its painted on the bottom.

http://www.alumaklm.com/

No problems with rust on mine, except the coupler assembly and the crappy fake chrome center caps.

The lower weight is nice too.

I looked at used and found junk. I bought new, upgraded to radial tires and haven't looked back.

The only problem with any trailer is the paint goes to shit quick. My trailer is powder coated, which in hindsight is a bad idea for a trailer, every ding turns into a crack in the coating, then rust.

Make sure its painted on the bottom.

The ones I linked are painted. My grandpa just put radials on his trailer and it cost $600 so spending the extra $300 on the above mention trailers would be worth it. Were did you purchase your trailer?

http://www.alumaklm.com/

No problems with rust on mine, except the coupler assembly and the crappy fake chrome center caps.

The lower weight is nice too.

Aluminum would be nice but if I am going to spend aluminum trailer money i will buy a steel gooseneck and be capable of hauling 2 jeeps.

That's the place I bought my trailer, about two months ago. I got the 9k rated (really only has two six lug 4k axles) 18" wood deck. It's not a high end trailer, but I don't think it's junk. Obviously I thought it was a good price. When I get home I can take pictures of anything you'd like. Or join me and Walt at Rocks and Valleys on the 12th or 19th and take a look at it yourself.

Let me know if you have any questions on these trailers.

Lots of used junk out there. I'd rather have something that I know its history.

Also if you can get the 5200 lbs 6 lug axles do it!

mac 'helped build mine' gyvr

When I bought my trailer. I went through the exact same thing. looked at used ones for over a year. All of them needed hundreds of dollars in work just to get them worthy to tow to the Badlands.

I ended up buying a year old model that had never left the lot. I got brakes, ramps and 5 radial trailer tires. It cost me barely more than buying a used one. I knew it would need a board replaced, but I ran the messed up board for 4 years before it finally cracked.

Make sure anything you are looking at has trailer rated tires rather than used car tires. Many trailer places use car tires to keep the costs down

When I bought my trailer. I went through the exact same thing. looked at used ones for over a year. All of them needed hundreds of dollars in work just to get them worthy to tow to the Badlands.

I ended up buying a year old model that had never left the lot. I got brakes, ramps and 5 radial trailer tires. It cost me barely more than buying a used one. I knew it would need a board replaced, but I ran the messed up board for 4 years before it finally cracked.

Make sure anything you are looking at has trailer rated tires rather than used car tires. Many trailer places use car tires to keep the costs down
Obviously a "P" tire is no good on a trailer. What's the consensus on LT tires? (Forgive my ignorance on trailer tires. Just trying to learn here...) Say something load range "C" or "E"?

Obviously a "P" tire is no good on a trailer. What's the consensus on LT tires? (Forgive my ignorance on trailer tires. Just trying to learn here...) Say something load range "C" or "E"?

Get trailer service tires (ST). They are going to be no more expensive than an LT in an appropriate load range and they are actually designed for what you are wanting to do.

Back