• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

b16gsr build thread 2000 XJ 4 door SE expedition rig

b16gsr

NAXJA Forum User
Long, long time lurker and former forum member several years ago. I have built just over a dozen XJ's over the years and owned several more.

About 6 month ago I bought the most insane 2001 2 door XJ that I was not sure what to do with. It was a one owner with 44k miles and it was perfect minus the passenger side flare and side marker, and a dent on the drivers door. After sitting on it, I decided it was too nice to mess up lifting and modifying, so I sold it on Bring a Trailer. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-jeep-cherokee-13/. This gave me a wild hair to add another 4 door XJ and keep my 2 door as well. The gal and I are going to be doing a bunch more camping and kayaking this year and I wanted a 4 door XJ for the additional doors, and the 2 door is a little taller than desired for this. So after several long weeks of searching for the right one, I found it.

I had specific requirements that I was after:
  • Decent miles (130k-160K)
  • Government/Police/Fleet ownership history with records
  • NO RUST, none not even a trace, no accidents
  • Southeast or west/southwest previous residence
  • Priced within my budget
  • SE model, no options, clear glass, no power windows, locks etc
  • Blue, Green or White exterior
  • Non smoker
I found a really nice white Sport on eBay, which was not what I wanted, in Arizona and chatted with the guy about it. He told me he would pull it from eBay for a set dollar which was out of my budget, so I let the auction ride and ended up letting it go because it was way out of my budget at the end. Then I had an agreement with a dealer on a 2000 with 71k miles in the northeast, which was a gamble for me due to the weather up there. I was waiting for him to email specific pics, they didn't come and he sent me a text say he sold it. Needless to say I was pissed. So the furious hunt continued.

And then there was one.
  • 2000 Cherokee SE 4 door
  • 159k miles
  • one government ordered and owned from new in Chattanooga, TN, no accidents
  • Priced below my budget, and shipped was half at what I was looking at from a west coast rig
  • Patriot Blue exterior/Agate interior
  • Non smoker
I found it on a terrible Craiglist ad with these pictures:

So I called the dealer and asked him to shoot some better pics, to get me the VIN and got to chat with him about it. He had been driving it for a little bit and said it was out of his normal purchase but was so nice he bought it. He sent me these pics and this helped solidify my purchase. The build sheet list from Jeep showed me a few bonus items. Skid plate group, trac-loc and heavy duty suspension, ala UpCountry package. I was stoked.

My entire inspiration for this build came from a Jeep that was sold on eBay a couple years ago that I saved some pictures of.

So with the Jeep being found, I compiled a list of parts to build from and have started ordering bits and pieces.
  • 3" Zone on the way
  • TJ Rubicon MOAB 15" Reps on the way
  • 31x10.50R15 BF Goodrich MT KM3 on the way
  • WeatherTech floor and cargo liners
  • WeatherTech light window visors
  • JCR offroad DIY winch bumper on the way
  • JCR base roof basket and cubby mate
  • Smittybilt 9000lb winch
  • OEM Trail rated badges of JL Wrangler
  • Truck Lite LED head lights
  • Oneway LED interior light kit
  • LED bulbs for all exterior lighting
  • Python remote start alarm
  • Trailer hitch
  • Basic stereo upgrade to allow iPhone compatibility
This should be fun build and serve its purpose well. Thanks for following along.

Back