• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric fan runs constantly w/ A/C on......

my95yj

NAXJA Forum User
brought the XJ out of retirement......
warm here in VA now so I run the A/C occassionally and I noticed that the electric fan never stops running with the A/C on? knowledge of the cycling of the fan is limited....but I know it use to just come on and off with the A/C on but now it just runs constantly......
1. The jeep is not running hot.....
2. Last summer the jeep started running hot with the new GDI piece o crap I put in there....took that out and OEM went back in.....Jeep ran fine after that....first preventive maintenance that back fired on me....
3. Any ideas? seems wasteful to have that fan on when I am running down the interstate to work.....TIA

The fan is wired to run with the a/c. I think it isn't set up to run constantly, but to cycle on and off with the a/c compressor. (Mine's an '88, which is wired differently from your '95). What's the duty cycle on your a/c? If you're slightly low on freon, but not low enough to cause the compressor not to engage, maybe the a/c is running more than it used to, which will also cause the aix fan to run more.

oh sorry i forgot i dont' have a sig on this board, i guess i will have to join since it looks like i am keeping the XJ....
it is a '97.....and the A/C blows cold so i don't think it is low on freon....
but then again i know little about the A/C system....

My problem is extactly the opposite; that is, my electric fan NEVER comes on with the AC. My understanding, from reading the FSM is that whenever the pressure in the AC gets high enough, the fan comes on and doesn't turn off until the pressure goes back down. My understanding from the guys that have worked on my AC is that the pressure WILL be too high if there isn't air flowing through the evaporator. In other words, if you are not moving and have the AC on, then the electric fan should be running.

If I am incorrect, someone PLEASE correct me - because I'm having a really hard time tracking down my problem and I need to know if this is correct.

EDIT: I have a 2000, so I believe my AC system should be very similar to yours.

my 2000 comes and goes as it pleases when ther air is on.......though it will run for a short time....turn off for a short time.....run for a short time...shut off for a short time....etc. Maybe 3-5 minutes per cycle. It has done it since the day I got it new so I've always figured that's how DC had it setup.

right, and my fan used to do that, but now it just runs constantly, before when it use to cycle was it doing that going down the highway, seems like a total waste if it was......

Back