• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights? check. Taillights? check. but not working together

sharq

NAXJA Forum User
'95 4.0 aw4

headlights and taillights are not working at the same time. thought it was the push/pull switch. changed it out. same problem.

any idea guys?

let me clairify. if i pull the knob all the way out to turn them both on, just the head lights come on. if i pull the knob a dimes thickness out, the tail lights come on and no head lights.

ive been getting around at night with just my auxilarry(sp?) lights and the knob pulled out a dimes thickness to get the taillights on.

i guess ill try switching the switch out again. there was a moment where i could have mixed them up.

im gonna feel like a dumb ass if that was the problem.

ive gone back and forth with the 2 switches i have. same thing with both. one of them is new. i wanted to make sure i didnt mix 'em up like you said. got the new one in there now. im starting to think this might be some weird electrical issue. maybe a short somewhere? is there a fuse that could cause this?

Your front parking lights are doing the same thing too right? If you have a multimeter check the contunity of the switch. It's very possible you got a bad one. The only place the wiring of the two circuits are together is at the grounds on the front.

i dont have a multimeter. maybe i should exchange it for another new one. what are the chances 2 new ones would be bad, right?

tigerShark said:
i dont have a multimeter. maybe i should exchange it for another new one. what are the chances 2 new ones would be bad, right?
Slim, but it could happen. If you have a circuit tester (one of those little bulb things) you could use it on the lighting circuit without worry of frying anything.

OK do this, try your Turn signals with the lights "off" and then "on" and post back here.
Don't pull the switch out past the last spot.
I'm thinking you could have a ground off to your tail lights, when you force the switch the head lights are turned off and the tail lights ground/feedback from the head lamps.

Back