• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Problem when Starting

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I have a weird thing going on when I start the Jeep.
It will start really good and fast, then progressively
gets slower and slower as I restart. Over about 10 or 12 starts to the point
it barely turns. I don't just sit there and try starting it. This is as I use the vehicle to get around in. Most of the time it will still start, but right after
it starts from the really dragging point it goes back to turning
over really good. Then it goes through the same process slowly dragging down. I thought I fixed it last week, but nope. If the lights are on they don't go dim at all either. So there is Juice. At least to the side post. My starter is hook to the top post.
I replaced the starter and cleaned all the grounds and connections.
I had a Pontiac that did this same thing back in 70's. Never did figure out what that was.
This is an 1988 Automatic,4.0. 7,000 mile crate motor. This problem came along about 2 thousand miles ago.

I had asimilar prob last week,"gremlin" was the solinoid and I had a liftime
warrenty :yelclap:
Might wanna check all battrey connections,clean battery posts,etc...
Have the starter checked out along with the battery...

What I don't get is if the old one wasn't bad, why did you replace it? Are you having to tap the old one with a hammer once in a while to get it to start?

Well what happened was the rear bolt that bolts to the aluminum part of the starter housing was stripped so it wasn't secure on that end and it was hitting at an angle. This made it work part time. It also made some good marks on the fly wheel. I just figuired it was the starter when it was doing that, and bought a new one. Then after taking it out I found out the mount wasn't right. I have a motor with 7000 miles on it so I just figured I'd put in a new starter to match.
Since then I have got a longer bolt that goes to the bottom half of the threads that were still good and seems to working well.
Good Question though !

Nope, back to the drawing board. I'm replacing the ground strap and redoing a couple of grounds tonihgt. Hopefully that'll take care of it.

Well I replaced the strap and put another large ground from the block ground to the corner where the starter mounts. Replaced the one that grounds to the body from the negative cable by the battery. Still same old crap. Tonight I'm buying a lifretime warranty starter. If that doesn't do it, I'm taking it to my Jeep dude. He is spendy , but extremely Jeep smart.

My 87 used to start a little funny after putting in a long block. Had the same symptoms - would bog down and almost stop, but eventually start. I finally broke down and took it to the dealership and they reindexed the distributor. Did the trick - no more problems.

Well the new starter seems to be doing the trick. At least now I know I have good grounds every where. Man what a pain. I had it back on the road about 12 hours and it had to go in for my gear swap now. 3.55 to 4.56. I'm suppose to get it back today. I'm like a little kid waiting on Santa.

Back