• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aurora back-up lights

blue95xj

<---- Brrrrrrrr!
So I got around to installing my back-up lights that I picked up at the JY. This is mentioned on Marcus' (go jeep) site in the adding reverse lights section. It was a fairly simple install I basically just layed some tape down measured the lights, marked it on the tape, and went to town with my dremel.
1 Lay down the tape so you cover the entire pocket.
2 Measure the lights.
3 Mark your cut lines on the hatch.
4 Cut out the two hole for lights to sit in.
5 Use the bolts from the Aurora to fasten the assembly to the hatch.
6 Run your wires. I tapped into the reverse wire going to the left taillight and ran the wire along with the original harness. For the ground I tapped into the ground for the third brake light.
7 Install your license plate

And it would be a good idea to install some weather stripping between the assembly and the hatch. Although I did not I have not had any problems with water intrusion at this time. I do not have a pic with the tape off of the lights or with the lights on but will get one this weekend. Let me know what you think!

008.jpg

001.jpg

004.jpg

002.jpg

NICE!!

Stock ones stink for output. My driveway is something like 50 feet long and there are no street lights around, so seeing back there is difficult after dark.

I hear ya. My windows are tinted and its kinda hard to see when backing up at night, and I have to wedge this thing between a retaining wall and my mj and I don't really want to hit either to be honest with ya!

I'd use a relay instead of tapping directly into the reverse output.

My friend did it on his 96, I'm going to do it to my 95.

Here is his;
l_c3d35ecf7719578251a3f3a5b791b780.jpg

Since the pic was taken, an oval LED 3rd brake light was added where the rear wiper used to mount.

Has anyone tried to upgrade bulb type/size in these reverse lights? I scored a set today for 6$ at the jy. Want bright as I can get, darn windows too dark at night. ;)

I know advance had some halogen back up bulbs a while back (3-4 years ago) but I haven't seen any lately.

Heck I didnt have back up lights for past six months! But last weekend I cleaned my NSS and voila!

Interesting. a 3155 in a halogen? I will look for them. I was thinking of finding something with a 3 toothed base like the plug and retrofitting, eliminating the stock bulb socket. Going to have to compromise brightness vs. heat... this is gonna work out well I think, hehe

PIAA makes one in Extreme White, 27watt, although lil bastards are 12$each. Might be the ticket though.

just dont leave em on to long like to light up your campsite or they can melt the lens
Did that with mine when I had to spend what felt like 30 minutes backing up a 4wd track with my trailer on because a tree had fallen across it. Was cut into a side of a cliff so had no choice. By the time I could finally turn around the reverse light lenses had deformed. I was running 55 watt H3 bulbs. Going to now replace them with some powerful LED's I found as wont have the heat problem.

Also found aj 22 or 3 watt halogen, will probably get the piaa ones and give it a shot. Aurora reverse lights are readily available and cheap enough. 6$ what the heck, painted mine satin black to match trim, looks sharp. Will post pict when done, hopefully tonight at my jeep night.

Gojeep, let me know what kind of LED, may go that route as I am thinking of LED hatch lights. Going out to do some cutting in a few min. Going to run power to rear, and put reverse lights on a switch/relay.

I dont have the Aurora lights and the ones I have take a wedge type bulb so just did a eBay search until I found something suitable.

The auroras also use a wedge base, a 3155LL. guess its the PIAA halogens for me. Gonna order next week. Will post some picts of brightness. Ed

got them in, look great. Had to eliminate the power lock in the hatch to clearance left light. I do see the need for some weather stripping around the lights, and I think it will clean them up even more.
dsc00542wqn.jpg

Back