• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Penrose 6/11

madmike283

NAXJA Forum User
OMG, Penrose is so XXXXing fun! My first time down there yesterday with Mike and Led. Mike and I rolled down from Denver and hit the Commons just before 11. The parking area was surprisingly empty. Mike and I dropped in Liberty while Led came in behind us and setup his camp at the exit of Patriot.

Mike and I made our way down Liberty, scraping up body panels and making good use of armor as we went. My rig isn't quite as shiny as it was before, but it was a blast. No real damage for me, just rear quarters and rear bumper dents/scratches.

We parked at the bottom and walked up to the entrance of Indy to watch Led drop. I was immediately nominated to ride bitch with Led in Truggy. The drops were fun, especially the waterfall on Bunker Hill. On the lower section of Bunker Led got in a weird spot and needed to adjust his line. While attempting to backup he blew up something in the front axle. He stepped out and immediately saw that his short-side hub was exploded. Apparently he's had problems on that side before and he was PISSED. He winched out the bottom of Bunker and sent Mike into town to try and find some parts. After a run around from Canon City to the Springs and back we had the parts needed. Led, his boy, and I at least had the entertainment of watching some guys from NoCo run up Patriot. Upon disassembly the Warn lockout had also blown into about twenty pieces! Got it all back together and we were going to all exit Liberty. Truggy was still popping like crazy and wouldn't drive the short-side. Shaft was good, so the front cover came off and found that the Detroit is spitting parts out of it.

It was getting late, 7:30ish so Mike and I headed out Liberty to try and beat the darkness. I had a blast running out but we were in a hurry and didn't take many pics at all. Mike did a great job spotting me through a couple of the harder obstacles. I only needed a little tug getting over the waterfall and once due to stupidity getting hung up on a single rock. A front locker would have made easy work of it as my rear was falling in a hole and I had no front bite to pull me up. While attempting the waterfall I got pretty damned tippy and I think I saw a little concern on Mike's face as he pushed on my bumper to keep me upright. :D

Made it back to camp just as the darkness was really setting in. Led was kind enough to give me one of their burgers and Gatorade. I should have expected the unexpected and come more prepared with more drink/food. I left those guys around 10pm and I got home just before midnight. Here are some photos I took. Mike has a bunch as well as some video. My full album is here.

L1010298.jpg

L1010302.jpg

L1010304.jpg

L1010306.jpg

L1010309.jpg

L1010312.jpg

Led and I dropping the waterfall on Bunker Hill....

L1010321.jpg

L1010322.jpg

Mike dropping Indy after the parts run...

L1010355.jpg

L1010356.jpg

L1010359.jpg

L1010360.jpg

L1010364.jpg

L1010366.jpg

Some of the crew from Ft Collins/Longmont on Patriot...

L1010325.jpg

L1010329.jpg

L1010331.jpg

L1010334.jpg

Patriot exit...

L1010338.jpg

EB Buggy was the only one to make it out unassisted. Still took him a while...

L1010341.jpg

L1010345.jpg

L1010351.jpg

Mike has the photos of me. I can't wait to see them!

nice pics! glad you had fun the first time down there!
its quite addicting....

i cant wait to drop indy next time down!

liberty is a great trail! even if it is the easiest of the 3!

So me and Indy just are not getting along this year. lining up for the last drop on bunker hill it looked like I was gonna bind the driver front sooo.... no biggie just pop it in rev and line it up right ??? nope soon as I hit the gas it sounded like someone let a round off thought I snapped an alloy. winched it foward to get a better look and saw the hub just destroyed. 3/8" gap going 2" in!! :smsoap: so we get mike up bunker and on his merry way to get parts .... not happening in canon so a couple calls to the springs and we got one on its way the the south side of the springs. sweet mike gets back with the new hub and lock out and we have at it old parts out new parts in on our way..... not!!! made it to 20' to the first rock and the front is making this nasty rice krispy in milk sound.... #%$& tear it all down again to pull the shaft ... its good... pop the diff and was greeted by little chunks o metal sittin at the bottom :smsoap: inspect the ring and pinion no chip or nuthin so I watch through the little hole on the detroit and sure enough little chunks #$%& @#$& #$%&!!!! so its gettin late make the call to just leave truggy at the bottom of the trail :bawl::tears: I needed food.... Fast foward to the A.M. at 7 up wake mike up and head down to see if truggy still safe which it was ... thow it back together and make the call to head back up bunker hil with liberal use of the winch had to build quite the ramp for the first climb then on the second one the little bits o metal managed to wedge just right that I had power to the dr front again crawled the rest of the way out and up freedom. back at camp by 8:30:woohoo: So I'm done Truggy is going back under the knife a little sooner than planed. 60/14bolt here we come oh and maybee some 39 krawlers

ok so best way to talk about this trip is like a story :eek:
My day started around 8 when I left the house to meet up with Madmike and head down to Penrose to get some wheeling done. somewhere along the way the jeep decided it didnt like the rear main seal and just bypassed it :doh So i spent the morning covering mikes rig.....
We get to penrose right at the planned time - 1050 and it is EMPTY! No one was their. ws great. Mike is one hell of a driver and proved that a clean rig, one locker and some 35's/armor can run Liberty no problem. (His only tug was once in a akward spot)
Here are the dropping in pics:
DSC02840.jpg

DSC02842.jpg

DSC02845.jpg

DSC02847.jpg

DSC02848.jpg

DSC02852.jpg

DSC02853.jpg

DSC02854.jpg

so this is where we meet up with Led. we tossed a bunch of rocks away from the entrace, it was stacked halfway to the top!!
DSC02869.jpg

Droppin in - video

waterfall - video

then the front went boom!!!!
DSC02886.jpg

DSC02887.jpg

DSC02888.jpg

DSC02893.jpg

more.....

So I had to run back up indy to make a loop from penrose - to canyon city - to springs to get the right parts....
Going up bunker hill was awesome.
I couldnt make the first part - just not enough wheelbase - so i had to winch it - drove the rest tho
DSC02874.jpg

DSC02876.jpg

DSC02878.jpg

DSC02879.jpg

DSC02880.jpg

DSC02881.jpg

DSC02882.jpg

DSC02885.jpg

heading out was fast and easy
DSC02898.jpg

DSC02894.jpg

DSC02900.jpg

we ran into these guys down there. sweet rigs, had a lil bit of a time getting the green jeep (broken) up bunker hill. Luckily they left all the stacked rocks all over bunker hill so we could limp truggy out (broken detroit) the following morning. unstacked some of the rocks and snagged some left behind beer cans too. :dunno:
DSC02890.jpg

DSC02892.jpg

DSC02891.jpg

following morning was started early to get truggy put back together and up bunker hill. the blown detroit started to halfway work after the first climb so led drove out the rest.
DSC02908.jpg

DSC02909.jpg

happy Led
DSC02910.jpg

On our way out we ran into the Amercian Rock Rods guys, they were gonna test the new Mantis 2 Chasis, things looked great. Hope it faired well for them. Crazy but great weekend.

Thanks for the pics Mike. I was anxious to see them. I had a great time despite the delay. I can't wait to go back. I may have to order up a front ARB here real soon!

Sorry I want able to get any real killer shots, im not such a good camera man :doh:

thanks for comin down with me! always fun to hit that stuff with people new too it - makes it exciting again :D

awesome pics man! Sucks that Detroit blew up.. anything could happen though. The whole time i was at the car show I was thinkin man i could be Wheelin right now........

It was a great trip. wish someone was there to see how tippy mike got..... I was so proud :D he was so calm. wasnt gonna go anywhere, but boy did it LOOK bad :thumbup:

ill wheel with mike anyday. patient, chill and always having fun - can pick a line too

Can't believe Truggy busted a SECOND hub like that!

Looks like a great little run guys. Would have loved to have been there.

It was a great trip. wish someone was there to see how tippy mike got..... I was so proud :D he was so calm. wasnt gonna go anywhere, but boy did it LOOK bad :thumbup:

ill wheel with mike anyday. patient, chill and always having fun - can pick a line too

LOL, I don't even really remember how bad it may have been. I mean, I know at the time I felt it lift the front but I didn't get nervous at all. You didn't mention that it looked that bad. Now I wish you'd have taken a photo! lol

I appreciate the kind words. I'm just a newbie. :D Same goes for you. I appreciate the spotting. I would have never made it so easily without the good direction.

Can't believe Truggy busted a SECOND hub like that!

Looks like a great little run guys. Would have loved to have been there.

On that note don't try backing up any more cars :D think the internals on the detroit were cracked and thats what shock loaded both hubs. That detroit always had some lag so maybe it was just a bad one :dunno:

Back