• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone else had this? possible scam?

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
i posted something for sale on a couple used sites like kijiji.com and others and for the last 3 weeks i have been getting 4 or 5 emails a day in response to my item. every email is basically the same idea, they just say that they are very interested and then ask for my phone number. each one is a bit different from the rest but they always ask for my phone number. i have replied to each one with a little info on the item and ask if they are still interested, but i do not leave my number. out of about 50 inquiries like this i have not had a single on reply back to my email. this just doesn't seem normal to my. has anyone ever experienced this. i have a feeling that it is some kind of scam.

sounds like a good way to get working phone numbers for telemarketing purposes :dunno:

yeah, i searched around on the internet looking for some sort of scam that uses just a telephone number but can't seem to find anything. but its just too weird that there are that many people interested in the item and they all ask basically the same thing.

I personally don't see a problem with giving out your phone number. I have done it on a few occasions on craigslist, although its only when I know myself and the seller/buyer is very serious and its usually one of the last steps. But anyway, people put their phone numbers up all the time in classified adds both in the newspaper and on craigslist. They can't hurt you or track you down unless you have a listed number- just give your cellphone.

I get em too I sale alot on craigslist. I just reply with a lil more info like you said and if it is a person and they reply again I then see they are interested and may give out my PH # depending on the feel. Only had one telemarketer call that number so far.

I've also had it happen w/ craigslist a few times. After the those times, I don't give it till I get a least 2 emails from them.

ya its craigslist.....its jsut an automatic response...
you can usually tell its fake cuz of the incorrect spelling of simple words and the horrible grammar and sentence flow....

CL has TONS of spam....

A genuine poster will sdend you an E-mail that actually makes sense......

I don't post any of my phone numbers, PERIOD!!

I also don't post my E-mail publicly either. There is a "Bot" or something similar otu there that looks for E-mail addy's then sends you junk mail........

in4aride said:
ya its craigslist.....its jsut an automatic response...
you can usually tell its fake cuz of the incorrect spelling of simple words and the horrible grammar and sentence flow....

Just happened to me on CL last week. Someone replied to my ad and said that the reason for his bad English was that he was hearing-impaired. He sent the following message, even though there was no agreement made.

Great. I'll send you a check from my bank to cover the cost as I'm happy with your early response.anyway, I'll not be available for the pick-up of the item because of the nature of my job so i got the services of a mover whom will come for the pick up of the item on my behalf.so I'll like you to provide me with the following information so as to expedite the payment for the item.

1.Your full name to be on the check
2.Home or work address (Ups doesn't deliver to P.O Boxes)
3.Your phone number
4 The final price

As soon as you have cashed the check I'll make arrangement with my mover to come over for the pick-up. Pls do me a favor of removing the Ad from CL as I'm committed to buying it. Have a nice day.

Hey Johnny, that interested party is a scam. Look at the email addresses--sometimes the 2nd response is from soandso100 instead of sosandso10, 1000, etc. I had one that said the same thing: " I'm interested in advertised item(non-specific) and am satisfied of its condition(doesn't know if my axle is actually ok) and I will have a bank draft a check and have a mover come pick up item. I am hard of hearing so I can't communicate via phone." They BSed for 2-weeks and then sent a check for $3200 instead of the $120 I was asking and then they'll tell you to "keep a little extra for the trouble," but to send them the majority back(while the check bounces or however their stupid scam works). I told them to F'off and to stop scamming people and that they would get what they deserve.

Rule of thumb, if it sounds too good to be true, makes you pause and think, makes your hind brain go 'hmmm' it's probably someones attempt at getting something out of you.

Don't fall for the certified check either, many of those banks overseas are in on it, after 2 months they will 'bounce' the check and you are out the whole amount.

X2 what xjohnnyc posted happened to me two days ago the fellow said he was in NJ and was moving out here, I only deal with buyers in my area.

gradon said:
Hey Johnny, that interested party is a scam. Look at the email addresses--sometimes the 2nd response is from soandso100 instead of sosandso10, 1000, etc. I had one that said the same thing: " I'm interested in advertised item(non-specific) and am satisfied of its condition(doesn't know if my axle is actually ok) and I will have a bank draft a check and have a mover come pick up item. I am hard of hearing so I can't communicate via phone." They BSed for 2-weeks and then sent a check for $3200 instead of the $120 I was asking and then they'll tell you to "keep a little extra for the trouble," but to send them the majority back(while the check bounces or however their stupid scam works). I told them to F'off and to stop scamming people and that they would get what they deserve.

Yeah, I instantly knew it was a scam. I told them so and told them to F off too, but in a nice way. :) I didn't want a Nigerian hitman paying me a visit.

xjohnnyc said:
Just happened to me on CL last week. Someone replied to my ad and said that the reason for his bad English was that he was hearing-impaired. He sent the following message, even though there was no agreement made.

1.Your full name to be on the check
2.Home or work address (Ups doesn't deliver to P.O Boxes)
3.Your phone number
4 The final price
You gave him all the info , right?

For the DA's office.

Easy way to handle it is to just tell them to give you their name and number and you will call them. Puts the ball in their court. If they truly are intersted they will give you phone number. You can pretty much tell if it is legit or not and if there is any questions about it just dont return the call.

Back