• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slip yoke engagement length need advice ASAP

XJguy

NAXJA Forum User
I lifted the rear to 8+ tonight, but drivelines look great with the stock shaft. Mysteriously my shaft seems to be long enough. At any rate, does the yoke below have enough engagement as is? Or do I need a longer shaft? Have to know to get it done first thing in the morning. (NO SYE thanx)

dsc00100.jpg

XJguy

rich.........

no sye????

how long have you been on these forums.......?

seriously.

credibility is a terrible thing to blow, especially when you are trying to start a company.

Look XJ unbuilder

I asked for an answer not a rubbing.... :mad:

I know a SYE is the best way to go....but I do not have the time nor cash to spend on it at this point in time. My freaking control arms cost more than my Jeep!

At any rate...does the yoke look good or what? :confused:

XJguy

whaddyou mean does it have enough engagement???

you're telling me that at 8" lifted hieght, none of that polished area is visible out of the seal?

That is exactly what I am saying. The polished area is fully inside of the t-case. Whats more, the Jeep is gutted and has an empty tank, so its light weight right now, once filled up, the yoke should slide in even further. I dont know, or recall how much yoke should be in the t-case, but I dont want to go by the polished area since I did run 5.5" for one winter through much salt.

XJguy

Re: Look XJ unbuilder

XJguy said:
My freaking control arms cost more than my Jeep!

I found your problem...

XJguy said:
That is exactly what I am saying. The polished area is fully inside of the t-case.

when I had my 4.5" lift and d35, i had "polish" sticking out

whats your secret?

what do suppose will happen when you are taking on an obstacle, and your rear end unloads?????

pop goes the shaft, and a quart of atf.......

and that output bearing is gonna LOVE the 4000 miles you put on that thing the way it is.

I know you are not looking for a ribbing rich, but you need one.

you've been on these boards for YEARS......that's the reason I'm being harsh.....all this stuff should have occurred to you...do you understand why I was trying to get you to stay at 6"????

Do you have ANY IDEA what is in store for you in Moab?

I'm a little concerned for your safety, I know you probably don't think I care.......

Dont know, I am guessing its the combination of my lifted Sun shackles and Rustys STS springs.

Before Rustys springs I used shims to get the angles right..never had vibes, even at speeds exceeding 85mph.

So I take it, its in there enough?

XJguy

Beezil said:
what do suppose will happen when you are taking on an obstacle, and your rear end unloads?????

pop goes the shaft, and a quart of atf.......

and that output bearing is gonna LOVE the 4000 miles you put on that thing the way it is.

I know you are not looking for a ribbing rich, but you need one.

you've been on these boards for YEARS......that's the reason I'm being harsh.....all this stuff should have occurred to you...do you understand why I was trying to get you to stay at 6"????

Do you have ANY IDEA what is in store for you in Moab?

I'm a little concerned for your safety, I know you probably don't think I care.......

Beez, thanks and dont worry, if I do make it to Moab, I wont even think of following you and the NAXJA stars on your harder trails. I know my limitations, more than anything I just would like to make an appearnace and meet everyone.

That being said, should I spend the $100 and lengthen the shaft tomorrow? It will be the only chance I get to do it, if I am to make it to the event.

XJguy

Its also not cool to "proof" your stuff on a trail run!We cant make the NAXJA run but were goin up on the 30th.Sure wished I could be there!

XJguy said:
That being said, should I spend the $100 and lengthen the shaft tomorrow? It will be the only chance I get to do it, if I am to make it to the event.

XJguy

no, its good dude, your good

it costs you 100$ to lengthen a shaft? :eek:

RCP Phx said:
Its also not cool to "proof" your stuff on a trail run!We cant make the NAXJA run but were goin up on the 30th.Sure wished I could be there!

I dont "proof" my stuff anywhere :D

jk man, sorry you cant make it

there's more to worry about than it being "in there" at static ride height.......you have what? 1 3/4" of spline engagement?

I had a front d-shaft that was too short on my cj-6 that had more than 2" of spline engagement.....that didn't stop that damn thing from coming apart on me until I solved the problem.....increase your d-shaft length, you run the risk of punching your t-case when you over-compress.....

thats part of the reason you get an sye.....slip yokes used in d-shafts offer a LOT more travel and spline engagement.......

Beezil said:
increase your d-shaft length, you run the risk of punching your t-case when you over-compress.....

So true, and could be so bad...I had to have my dshaft shorten when I put my 44 in...so i didnt punch my tcase...that would suck :eek:

If you really really really don't want to shell out the dough for a SYE right now, Rubicon Express sells a longer slip yoke for your driveline. You get a bit longer travel and more engagement for about $65 retail. I would bet that Dirk at DPGoffroad.com sells it cheaper.

BTW - I sit at 6.5" total and I have only very minor vibes. I temporarily have a 1" tcase drop and my pinion is tilted up slightly. I plan to get a SYE if I encounter any problems, which I very well may. I too say shell out the dough for the SYE if you at all can.

Thanks DeadEyeJ, but I have the NP242 t-case, it already has the longer yoke. The one sold by everyone is just a NP242 sized yoke intended for the NP231 folk.

XJguy

YJ slip yokes are a little longer, but this is the first time I've ever heard that 242 sy's are longer than 231 sy's of the same year.....

I was interested so I checked my scrap pile.....

just so happens I have a 231 yoke from a 95, and a 242 yoke from an 88.....

they're the same length.

Beezil said:
YJ slip yokes are a little longer, but this is the first time I've ever heard that 242 sy's are longer than 231 sy's of the same year.....

I was interested so I checked my scrap pile.....

just so happens I have a 231 yoke from a 95, and a 242 yoke from an 88.....

they're the same length.

Ditto. Never heard of a 242 yoke being longer than a 231 yoke.

Rich, part of the problem you're facing is that with that much lift, the driveline is operating at a much higher angle. This presents multiple problems when you head off-road. The first problem may be addressed by the YJ yoke -- that's having the u-joints bind up in the yoke. The YJ yoke has a more open throat, allowing it to run at a higher angle without binding. That doesn't help the u-joints to "live long and prosper," but it does make it less likely they'll be ripped out of the yoke the first time your suspension really droops.

Suspension movement is the other problem. Step back for a moment and visualize the geometry. If the driveshaft is nearly level, the forward/rearward vector at the slip yoke isn'y very great for the normal range of suspension travel. Now look at the same driveshaft with 8" of lift, and a more compliant suspension with a greater overall range. First, because of the angle, the same range of vertical movement will result in more forward/aft movement of the slip yoke. Then factor in that your suspension now probably has more travel than a stock suspension, and you have a recipe for problems.

I understand that you don't have the $$$ for an SYE right now, and that's a given. Facing that, I think the least you should do is get the longer YJ yoke. It isn't that much longer, but between the added length and the open throat, it just might save you.

Buy please start saving for the SYE.

Back