• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Holy sii, did that just happen! Buddy's 4.8 stroker

Borgli

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
Me and a buddy were working on his stroker build today, we got the crank and 3 pistons in no problem. Then it all went sideways. One of the oil rings caught on the wall before entering the cylinder and made a gash all the way don't. (that's our theory on what happened anyways)
Is this salvageable or does he need a new blo
dateposted-public
ck?

If it's truly a 4.8 (.080" over) then I would say yes to another block, never seen one though!

BTW, do you have a pic of the piston? It can't look good!

No marks on the piston. Looks the same as before going in. The ring is only slightly be too. I don't understand how it can have massed it up that bad

Who the hell did the block in the first place? That machining looks horrible.

I think that's part image quality, part flash rust. Looked a lot better when we picked it up a year ago.
Went back out to check it with a clearer less pissed off mindset. It's not as bad as we first feared(still really bad). On the left side of it theres a ride that can be felt easily, but the markings on the right are smooth, no noticable difference there compared to the rest of the bore. I'm guessing the crosshatching is gone though.
We'll pull everything off it and take it to a shop.
I'll update when we hear back from them, sometime after Christmas.

At .080 over, I would have the cylinders sonic tested for thickness.

It's bored 100 over at 3.975in. It's a meaty renix block, plenty left on the walls. We got it stripped back down today.
Anyone know if sealed power sells oil control rings? Kind of a waste to buy a new 60$ set.

It's bored 100 over at 3.975in. It's a meaty renix block, plenty left on the walls. We got it stripped back down today.
Anyone know if sealed power sells oil control rings? Kind of a waste to buy a new 60$ set.

It's kind of a waste to assemble this motor!

I have purchased a single piston's worth of rings before. That is probably what you are looking at doing.

FWIW, that was what made me swear off band type ring compressors.

A good machine shop should be able to determine if you have a real problem or if a couple passes with a finish hone will get you back in business.

It just doesn't sound like a healthy build. Is this the motor with the Hesco head?

I'd probly run a hone through it real quick along with a new set if rings.
It most likely will be fine.

It's just jeep motor a good one to learn on. Dont frett the small stuff. Bolt it together and hit the trails.

RCP Phx: he's got the edelbrock head for it. We're going to go another 10 over, that will take the piston - bore clearance to 0.0040 which is within specs for the pistons. Cylinder walls are still 183 thick.
Evan03: that scratch isn't really small.

Update

Blocks is toast. What feels like a decent but not too deep scratch was pretty deep and he would have to bore it another 100 over, so a sleeve would be the only solution for it.
I'm guessing that one is being turned into a man cave table at this point.

Update

Blocks is toast. What feels like a decent but not too deep scratch was pretty deep and he would have to bore it another 100 over, so a sleeve would be the only solution for it.
I'm guessing that one is being turned into a man cave table at this point.

great use of busted block!

Back