• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering pulley

wek91xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, i just pulled off the old pulle and started hammerin the new one on.... theres like 1-2 cm left but it doesnt see to be going any further, is it ok/safe to laeve it like that? , can i go ahead

wek91xj said:
Ok, i just pulled off the old pulle and started hammerin the new one on.... theres like 1-2 cm left but it doesnt see to be going any further, is it ok/safe to laeve it like that? , can i go ahead

hammered it on huh?

no special puller tool?

bearings gotta be lovin that.

wek91xj said:
explain....
need a proper power steering pulley puller and installer, check out your local Autozone for their free tool rental. How did you get off the old one?

RNMedic said:
need a proper power steering pulley puller and installer, check out your local Autozone for their free tool rental. How did you get off the old one?

Find a grade 8 that will thread that has the proper thread to fit in the hole on the end of the PS pump shaft. Then get yourself a few washers that are big enough to make contact with the pulley. Then put your pully in position, and start the bolt in with the washers on it. As the bolt tightens, the washers will force the pulley on much like the pulley tool. NO USE HAMMER AT ANYTIME...LOL. I've done the same thing.

well its a little late,., got it off with the pulley puller, hammered it on

how do i know if its messed uop

If the shaft moves in and out at all, it's probably going to whine or leak.
Those pumps can't take hammering too much... :repair:

will it be ok to drive, or what, i dont remember it being loose after i put it on though, so i hope its not bad

There should be 0.275"(7mm) from the top of the pulley(hub) to the tip of the p/s pump shaft.

Last edited:
if it is leaking, is it safe to drive as long as i refil the fluids, or would it lead to other problems as well... what could be damaged by driving it... this is my dd and i dont have the funds to be replacing the ps pump.... hopefully shes not leaking

Back