• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering pulley

Onetype

NAXJA Forum User
Im installing a pulley on a new pump with the OEM tool from autozone. I got the pulley pretty much almost all the way on but now it seems like its stuck, it wont go on the rest of the way. What is going on here? It doesnt look like its crooked or anything. Is is supposed to take some muscle when It gets to this point? I put some into it and I heard a snap but It sounded like it came from the tool. Kind of a crappy pic but you get the idea.

When I did that it made a few pops and groans. I would just use a hammer and give it a few solid taps all around and then try giving it another go with the pulley installer tool.

The particular rent-a-tool pulley installer I used had a bunch of different attachments - some of them very close in size in terms of thread and depth. If you are using this type I would make sure you are using all the right pieces.

Ended up getting it on there pretty much almost flush. I wasnt expecting it to be that tight of a fit. Thankyou for the help.

Not sure if this applies to a 2000, but on my '92 there isn't a stop on the pump shaft to let you know when you've got it on the right amount. You could bottom it out on the shaft but then it will not be aligned with the other pulleys. Before you remove the pulley from the old pump you are supposed to take a measurement of the shaft depth, and then try to match that measurement during re-install. I forgot to do this step during my most recent PS pump swap, so I just eyeballed it and fine-tuned the alignment with the pump bolted up. But if I recall correctly the shaft was not quite flush after aligning the pulleys.

So, if a 2000 PS pump works the same way, you may be trying to push the pulley on too far. I know mine did not require tremendous force to pull it on. If you've got the pump mounted in the Jeep, you might check the belt alignment and make sure the PS pulley doesn't sit farther back than the others.

Ya I was worried about that too and my dumb self turned in my old p/s pump as a core before I looked at it. I decided not to try and wrestle with getting the old one off so I just left it on the core and bought a new one. On the newer pumps/pulleys If your using the right tool it wont let you press it on too far. I did the whole thing on the ground, probably would have been easier if I had it bolted into the jeep, live and learn.

Back