• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mid 80's Cutlass 442

85Chief

NAXJA Forum User
This is an off the wall question, but I will soon be getting an 86 Cutlass supreme as a little side project and I was looking at pictures of the Hurst/Olds edition.

I noticed these "lightning rod" shifters. Can anyone tell me what the other two shifters are for? I tried google but didn't get much luck. I do know that these editions are very rare. In 84 there were only 3500 made.

The red tag reads : "Do not move these levers before reading the Hurst/Olds owners manual"
bf_12_sb.JPG

f9_12_sb.JPG

wow lightning rods huh? that brings back alot of memories.. back before a jeep bought me.

it's basically a street version of an old race shifter. 1 handles shifting under normal driving but the other 2 are set up for running it as a manual shifted tranny. set up for 1/4 mile racing, you do not have to shift thru each selection carefully when under full throttle. you just yank one rod at a time and it hits the next gear. same theory as a ratchet shifter that will only hit one selection at a time when you shift.

they added those to the H/Os for WOW effect. i always liked the Hurst cars, that looks sweet.

Are you getting the Hurst car? If not what is the one you are getting like? I used to have one with a 307. The trans went out, and I didn't fell like messing with it. A week after I sold it some one GAVE me a good 350, and 350turbo trans. Oh well.

Jump on that thing, around here it would bring a small fortune. Give it a few years and it will be worth its weight in gold. wanna trade for a 95 4x4 sport?? ha,ha. I wish

I wish I was getting a H/O.

I actually found an 86 Cutlass Supreme Brougham. It's silver with a red interior. Its not the prettiest thing, but I figure that I can fix up the 307, slap some headers and exhaust on it and call the engine good. One the outside I would get different wheels, tires, and paint.

This is probably close to what it looks like. When I went and looked at it, it was covered in about an inch of dirt. (it had been sitting in a machine shed for 5 years.)

254609_1_full.jpg

After I get done with it I want it to look something like this
687840_2_full.jpg

or this
436965_32_full.jpg

I am just playing with the thought right now. The car has 78,000 miles and a small leak in the head gasket which won't be a problem to fix. The guy who is selling doesn't know what is worth, so he is taking best offer. I'm unsure of how much to ask though.

Thanks for the answer sidriptide...I never knew that!

Thanks again
Clay

The one you're looking at is alomst identical to the one I had. Mine had the five spoke olds wheels. Would you be interested in a 350 for that thing? A good cam, headers, good size carb, and you would believe hwo much fun that thing will be.
Also if you're keeping the metric transmision be easy do it. They are extremly weak! No burn outs, or brake launches.

Back