• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Molar crank position sensor failed

XJ 2.5

NAXJA Forum User
I put a new mopar cps in my jeep a few months ago trying to diagnose an intermittent hot start issue. I had it die on me twice while driving yesterday and start up again, but today it died and wouldnt start back up. I put my old crank sensor back in and started right up. Not sure if that sensor is oem or not but it seems to work fine. So is the oem sensor even worth the money, or should I buy two cheap ones so I always have an extra with me? I've seen mixed reviews on the cheap ones, but everyone seems to have good luck with the mopar sensor

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Some people have complained that the latest version of the Jeep CPS is made in China and may not be as reliable as the older ones.

I have a new genuine Jeep spare CPS in both of my XJ's.

Most auto parts stores sell cheap crappy Chinese made clone parts, some that even come with a "Lifetime Warranty". These parts are poorly manufactured and/or made from inferior materials. They are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. The ones that are not faulty many times will have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep engine sensors. Numerous threads detail long and frustrating searches for a "problem" that ended up being cured simply with genuine Jeep repair parts.

Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

Last edited:
Its running good now with the old sensor, im gonna hope I can claim the warranty on this one since its definitely defective. I'm pretty sure the packaging said it was made in china

I have a 5 year old AutoZone CPS. I guess it's been good to me. The NAPA one (Echelin) I replaced back then gave up the ghost after 6-7 months. Suggest using Cruiser's CPS hack/mod.

Some people have complained that the latest version of the Jeep CPS is made in China and may not be as reliable as the older ones.

I have a new genuine Jeep spare CPS in both of my XJ's.

Most auto parts stores sell cheap crappy Chinese made clone parts, some that even come with a "Lifetime Warranty". These parts are poorly manufactured and/or made from inferior materials. They are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. The ones that are not faulty many times will have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep engine sensors. Numerous threads detail long and frustrating searches for a "problem" that ended up being cured simply with genuine Jeep repair parts.

Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

Jeep no longer carries the CPS. It's now listed obsolete.

I have replaced my CPS twice with Napa and still failing hard to find a OEM any suggestions? Thinking about Crown Automotive CPS anyone use them?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I still see genuine Jeep OBD-II CPS sold by Jeep Dealerships on Amazon. Crown is no better than the other Chinese junk.

I have replaced my CPS twice with Napa and still failing hard to find a OEM any suggestions? Thinking about Crown Automotive CPS anyone use them?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
The guy on eBay I bought mine from has a few in stock for the 2.5, not sure which one you need

Back