• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Requirements for Registration

96 Classic

NAXJA Member #324
What is the policy for signing up for the event? Do you have to be a member? Can someone register and bring a ZJ? I have friend from Michigan that would like to join us for the event that has a ZJ and is not a member.
Thanks. LS1XJ:peace:

Hey John!

You do not have to be a member to attend the event. We will be offering incentives tho that might make becoming a member a better deal tho. Folks with ZJs are allowed to join and attend!

It will be a little bit until registration starts, but we will spam the info out.

mac ‘see you in attica in march?’ gyvr

Thanks for the info Macgyvr

Nobody mined my ZJ last time

IMG_0740.jpg

Nope still mine. Bought it new in 1996. Still have it. Getting it ready for Snow Challenge Hill climb the next few weeks.
John LS1XJ20180315_191412.jpg20180314_151913.jpg20180314_152052.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So I know the event is a ways off but I would like to see a rough outline of rig requirements for different runs.

Basically I would like to know if I am going to be limited to the super easy runs because I won't be running a lift on my rig. I do have wheeling experience on the con and other difficult trails in the Reno area in my lifted rig but I am building this new rig as something that will teach me better lines and keep everything challenging and fun.

Build breakdown below.

99 limited
NO LIFT (bumpstopped appropriately)
235 MT
Longer front shocks with BPE and JKS adapter top
Rubicon express super flex upper and lower control arms
Stinky Fab racing Motor mounts and trans mount
Stinky Fab racing aluminum steering (Stock replacement)
Open d30 with diff cover, UCA reinforced, LCA skids
8.25 w/ Limited Slip (smoothed/ground/shaved bottom), diff cover, disc brake conversion
Frame stiffeners
2x6 rocker replacement up to door sill
aftermarket front and rear bumpers (rear cut and fold)
Rustys offroad transmission skid
Rustys offroad t-case skid
stock gas tank skid

Hopefully will have
JCR quarter guards
rustys gas tank skid
zj gas tank

I know I am the odd man out since nobody builds a cherokee with full armor and reliability items before a lift which is why I am asking this question now.

_

Last edited:
If you know how to drive, and have sway bar disconnects to keep that limited slip rear planted, and don't mind using your skid plates and rockers, you should be able to do almost everything short of Pritchett

I cannot speak to the specific trails being planned for this event, but I'd recommend checking out rr4w.com for a description and rating of a bunch of Moab trails and a list of recommended tire sizes and mods for their trail ratings. Then, because of your optimum wheelbase, flex, and underbelly armor, you're going to do fine on the 4-rated trails on their system despite the small tires.

Your rig is capable of plenty of fun in Moab, and you're a lot less likely to have breakage. Only thing I'd add is an easy way to disconnect your front sway bar.

If you know how to drive, and have sway bar disconnects to keep that limited slip rear planted, and don't mind using your skid plates and rockers, you should be able to do almost everything short of Pritchett

I have no problems using my skids and sliders as i am well aware they are necessary and will be put through the ringer if I plan to wheel a stock rig on tough trails. That is the whole reason I made sure that those were the first mods.

I also am not afraid to be strapped or winched up more difficult or technical obstacles after a few attempts in order to keep the group moving and not be a trail tampon or anchor.

Nope still mine. Bought it new in 1996. Still have it. Getting it ready for Snow Challenge Hill climb the next few weeks.
John LS1XJView attachment 6049View attachment 6051View attachment 6053

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Whoops by me I could have sworn your screen name was ls1xj as well. It's Richie from NJ, we met at Colorado fest11, and again when you came out for nacfest! It sounds like you're coming down to the 35th, Which is great news! I can't wait to tell Carol we look forward to seeing you and (Sandy? Am I right?) again. I'll be bringing a new (old ) rig , should be interesting!
Rich

So I know the event is a ways off but I would like to see a rough outline of rig requirements for different runs.

Basically I would like to know if I am going to be limited to the super easy runs because I won't be running a lift on my rig. I do have wheeling experience on the con and other difficult trails in the Reno area in my lifted rig but I am building this new rig as something that will teach me better lines and keep everything challenging and fun.

Build breakdown below.

99 limited
NO LIFT (bumpstopped appropriately)
235 MT
Longer front shocks with BPE and JKS adapter top
Rubicon express super flex upper and lower control arms
Stinky Fab racing Motor mounts and trans mount
Stinky Fab racing aluminum steering (Stock replacement)
Open d30 with diff cover, UCA reinforced, LCA skids
8.25 w/ Limited Slip (smoothed/ground/shaved bottom), diff cover, disc brake conversion
Frame stiffeners
2x6 rocker replacement up to door sill
aftermarket front and rear bumpers (rear cut and fold)
Rustys offroad transmission skid
Rustys offroad t-case skid
stock gas tank skid

Hopefully will have
JCR quarter guards
rustys gas tank skid
zj gas tank

I know I am the odd man out since nobody builds a cherokee with full armor and reliability items before a lift which is why I am asking this question now.

_
I've been tearing across some vicious trails here in the northeast for a while now staying low on 33's with a lot of cut metal and armor, so for one I see where you're coming from! If you have gone that far to do what you've said, I'd say it's clear you know how to drive. Looking forward to meeting you!
Rich in NJ.
PS even more so you can give me some pointers on the Rubicon...that's a definite bucket list item for me and the wife.

I've been tearing across some vicious trails here in the northeast for a while now staying low on 33's with a lot of cut metal and armor, so for one I see where you're coming from! If you have gone that far to do what you've said, I'd say it's clear you know how to drive. Looking forward to meeting you!
Rich in NJ.
PS even more so you can give me some pointers on the Rubicon...that's a definite bucket list item for me and the wife.

I wouldn't quite say that I know how to drive amazing but I would say that I definitely understand what is required to be replaced, upgraded, and protected if you want your XJ to last.

And yeh, that is the end goal for the new rig is keep it low and armored on 33s max.

I started wheeling on 4" and 33s with my other XJ so I never really had to pick the best lines and I learned poor driving habits. That rig now has 6"+ of lift on 33s and it just seems too tipsy because of stiff and super arched rear leafs.

Because I wanted to revise every lift component, bumpers, and sliders, I decided to just trade up from renix with no AC to a late model with AC and build it with all the best parts in my eyes. :laugh:

Since I am still gathering all my lift parts, and want to learn better driving habits, I decided to start as small as I can and have fun learning all over again before lifting this one.:guitar:

Last edited:

I've endured a lot of crap for a while about me running Detroit truetracs in my 01. That noise quiets down an awful lot when they see me drive em.

I started with a budget boost, 235s and factory limited slip in my nearly new '92 and gradually improved it to RE 5.5", 33s, Currie 9" when I discovered NAXJA about 15 years ago,went to 35s with a few other mods, then sold it before I trashed it.

Suspension articulation and picking lines that didn't overdo that, enabled me to do the Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim in my '99, that was then the wife's daily driver, with budget boost, 245s, and open axles. Now with minimal lift, 33s and detroits, does Pritchett with way less drama than some of the guys with bigger lifts and tires.

I've only been to one naxja moab event (2010) but considering going this year. Couple questions:

1. What is the anticipated number of jeeps per run (if such an estimate can be made this far in advance)? I'm not much a fan of big groups.

2. Is there a naxja policy on bringing dogs on the trails?

I started with a budget boost, 235s and factory limited slip in my nearly new '92 and gradually improved it to RE 5.5", 33s, Currie 9" when I discovered NAXJA about 15 years ago,went to 35s with a few other mods, then sold it before I trashed it.

Suspension articulation and picking lines that didn't overdo that, enabled me to do the Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim in my '99, that was then the wife's daily driver, with budget boost, 245s, and open axles. Now with minimal lift, 33s and detroits, does Pritchett with way less drama than some of the guys with bigger lifts and tires.
And that makes you my kind of guy. See you in October!

I've only been to one naxja moab event (2010) but considering going this year. Couple questions:

1. What is the anticipated number of jeeps per run (if such an estimate can be made this far in advance)? I'm not much a fan of big groups.

2. Is there a naxja policy on bringing dogs on the trails?

NAXJA events have always been a good time for me over the past 18+ years...I'm not really a big fan of large crowds, but we always have a good time and folks are great to be around. If you are able to make it, I'd be willing to bet you'll go home with a few new friends.

That said there will be a few times where everyone will be together. I'm hoping that at the dinner/raffle on Friday the 12th, we will have around 120-150 folks. Maybe a little scary, but you don't have to get up front and talk to everyone either ;)

The trails will be split up with approximately 5-6 a day with 10-15 rigs on each trail. This will vary a bit depending on the trail and the level of difficulty.

NAXJA has no policy on dogs, I suspect if you are thinking about bringing the dog, that he/she is friendly and there are no issues there. As far as I know there is no policy in Moab on dogs either, so you'll be ok.

If we (leadership of the club) didn't believe in the folks of NAXJA and the friendships developed over the years, we wouldn't pour the amount of time and energy into the club that we have to make these events a good time.

mac 'T minus 6 months' gyvr

Oh, I'm not antisocial! Just not a fan of being on the trail with more than about 10 total jeeps. At an event I attended a couple years ago in the Black Hills I was in a group of about 25 or 30 rigs and it felt mostly like a traffic jam in a big city. Thanks for responding!

Back