• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving VS Towing

Driving or towing

• towing

Votes: 34 77.3%
  • driving

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • other? explain

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
I have done all of the above options but my favorite is using a tow dolly, not a trailer. It really cuts down on the weight and wind resistance, while handling a ton better.

You can rent these right?

Does it matter what direction you put the Jeep on it?

If I broke an axle on the Jeep, could I just flip it around for the ride home?

You can rent these right?

Does it matter what direction you put the Jeep on it?

If I broke an axle on the Jeep, could I just flip it around for the ride home?

Yes, Uhaul rents them. I bought mine. It had electric brakes on it. It is way more stable than a trailer. Yes you can put the vehicle on either direction. I always dropped the drive shaft for safety but it only takes a minute. I pulled my XJ behind a 96 Ford Explorer AWD with a 5.0L all over Colorado and out to Moab. The reduced wind resistance and reduced weight meant I didn't take nearly as big a hit on mileage. Driving across country, I think the savings could just about pay for the dolly.

You could snag one on Craigslist, use it, then hit it with a rattle can and probably sell it for more than you spent.

Yes, Uhaul rents them. I bought mine. It had electric brakes on it. It is way more stable than a trailer. Yes you can put the vehicle on either direction. I always dropped the drive shaft for safety but it only takes a minute. I pulled my XJ behind a 96 Ford Explorer AWD with a 5.0L all over Colorado and out to Moab. The reduced wind resistance and reduced weight meant I didn't take nearly as big a hit on mileage. Driving across country, I think the savings could just about pay for the dolly.

You could snag one on Craigslist, use it, then hit it with a rattle can and probably sell it for more than you spent.

Thanks! I’ll check it out

Back