• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Chapters First 2006 Event!!

Matt S.

NAXJA Forum User
Sierra Chapter will be holding its first run of 2006 at Bald Mtn, which is near Shaver Lake east of Fresno. Saturday the 14th of January we will kick the year off with a cold snow run. This event is open to anyone who wants to join. There is no cost, so bring your own food and supplies.

Besides the basic trail equipment, those who want to attend need to have at least 31” tires and GOOD STRONG tow points front and rear. The snow can give new meaning to stuck! This trip will be a good experience for those that have never done deep snow before, please do not let your lack of experience sway you from joining us.

To get into the mountains, CHP requires all vehicles to carry chains, 4x4 or not. So DO NOT forget these. They don’t need to fit or even be in good condition. They just want to see you have them. Gas and air is available in Prather and Shaver Lake.

We will all meet in Prather, Ca in the grocery store parking lot. The parking lot is located on Highway 168 and Auberry Rd. Mapquest will be able to give you accurate directions to the intersection. Please arrive at 8am and we will be hitting the road at 8:30 sharp.

That evening after the run, we are all going to get pizza and drinks at the pizza shop in Prather. They have excellent food and lots of room! If you can’t make the actual run, try to join us for the fun times at dinner!

Please remember that the snow is cold and to pack accordingly. If anyone is needing sleeping arrangements before or after the run, Fresno has motels and hotels that are near the roads to Prather.

Note* these dates are subject to change with weather conditions.

Mark it down on your calender!

Sounds like fun. I'll plan to make it. So you can just get some crappy used tire chains just to show CHP you are ready even with aggresive off road tires? I could do that. Just 37" tire chains might be kind of expensive if I was planning on using them and getting nice new ones.

How strict is the CHP in that area? Do they just require chains in blizzard like conditions or all the time to get to that area? I'll look for some cheap chains in the meantime enough to fool the CHP. :laugh3:

I guess hwy 168 is also know as Morgan Canyon Rd according to mapquest. Here is what I got when I pasted in the intersection you provided in your post, this is from where I live in Citrus Heights (Sac):

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/...ghway+168+and+Auberry+Rd&2c=prather&2s=ca&2z=

Last edited:
Do whatever you feel like you want to do about chains. I personally carry a broken set of honda chains. I do not condone this and dont want to be the one who told yall to do it. If you can afford 37" chains, get em'! They will work in the snow when its mushy!!

BTW people, BigRed did bring up a point. CHP is VERY strick in the area if you cause any hassle. When they ask to see your chains, say "yes sir (or ma'am)" and show them. Dont give them no lip about I dont need them, or bitch and whine when the send you down the hill to get some.

BigReds mapquest is accurate. For those using mapquest can double check against his.

Well Ladies and Gentelmen, it is getting closer. the snow is not heavy yet, but we have all of December thankfully. Just as an update, I will be up there near every weekend wheeling myself. That way when the 14th of Jan comes, we will know if there is PLEANTY of snow!

I am going to add one small detail to the list of requirements. In snow, chances of breaking are a ton less, but I sure as hell dont like to fix junk in snow. I ask if you come, if your stuff breaks to either be capable to fix, or willing and helpful to do so. So do not rely on anyone else for tools, or parts. The unexpecteds happen, and this group wont leave you behind. But please carry some tools!

Last edited:
Scrappy said:
Well Ladies and Gentelmen, it is getting closer. the snow is not heavy yet, but we have all of December thankfully. Just as an update, I will be up there near every weekend wheeling myself.

ill be home during winter break if you are looking for a passenger on one weekend run...

I am sure there will be pleanty of room in other peoples rigs. I am going to have a full full full full jeep that day, going to be 4 of us in it! I am sure someone will offer you a seat. Just dont ask phil, his jeep would suck to be in for a snow run!

Scrappy said:
I am sure there will be pleanty of room in other peoples rigs. I am going to have a full full full full jeep that day, going to be 4 of us in it! I am sure someone will offer you a seat. Just dont ask phil, his jeep would suck to be in for a snow run!

you kiddin? id be fine in phil's jeep - provided he can put up with my stupidity - i havent seen any temps warmer than 26* here since ive been back in Nebraska and probably wont see anything warmer than 40 till after christmas break...

its snowing right now and the temp is 22*

Scrappy said:

So, which Jeep are you going to bring?

:)

My heater works marginally.........but I don't have windows!!

Have to get those other full doors on and painted........or maybe Matt can loan me his snow board suit?

:D

mmmmmm snow. i need tires. if i get them i'm in.

Kernel said:
mmmmmm snow. i need tires. if i get them i'm in.

Take the MJ:exclamati

I am out on this run, I get back from brazil on the 13th.

Thanks for setting up this run Scrappy, everyone take lots photos and show me what I will have missed! :mad:

Letterman said:
Take the MJ:exclamati
ya but i don't think 2wd would be much fun for the people pulling me out.

Might have to make this run before Jr. is born. If I go I am going to get a hotel that night. If anyone else needs a place to crach (no pun intended) saturday night, IM me.

SharkXJ said:
Might have to make this run before Jr. is born. If I go I am going to get a hotel that night. If anyone else needs a place to crach (no pun intended) saturday night, IM me.

crach? I don't see the pun.

Back