• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A chance at a MJ

triple 4

NAXJA Forum User
I have a chance to buy an 86 MJ, The Bad part is it does not run and it has a 2.8 with a AX5 and I think a 207 with a CV joint running to the front i. It has 4 Outlaw 2 rims and the body is stright, I'm thinking about parting it out if I buy it. Althought I do not know if it is going to be worth it. It has a good 8ft bed on it, all the glass is good doors and fenders and the rest of the body except the grill are in good shape. The inside doesn't look to bad, but not to good also. It also has a weird lift on it?? It looks like someone pulled the leaf pack apart and put rubber bushings between the leafs? I think it has a D35 in the rear? Also, it has a thing hanging from the frame that looks like it hooks to the rear diff. What would that be?
What do you all think?? Should I or should I not buy this jewel?
Triple 4

That thing attached to the axle is a load sensing proportioning valve (it connects to the axle by a rod, and is bolted to the frame on top)

You didn't happen to mention what the price is :)

I cannot support you in buying it to part out. There aren't that many MJs around. If it is straight and fairly solid, it is worth fixing up, preferably for the kind of daily driver/weekend warrior duty for which it was intended. However, even modifying it for use as a trail rig is preferable to crushing or cannibalizing it.

If it is an '86 you are correct, it has a 207 transfer case. That's not the end of the world -- it's very similar to the 231, except the low range is 2.6:1 rather than 2.72:1. The engine can be replaced with a GM 3.4L, or even a Jeep 2.5L 4-cylinder (the 3.4L is easier), but may cost more).

The "thingie" on the rear diff is a brake proportioning valve. It's load sensitive -- as the bed is more heavily loaded, the lever drops and allows more braking force to the rear wheels.

I agree with Eagle on this one. Buy it up and sell it on NAXJA. At least it will get a good home, and you KNOW that somebody out there is looking for a good platform to build up an MJ.

Also, I got the axles off on an '86 MJ at the junkyard to swap into my XJ. They were more of a pain then they were worth. I did it to go from 3.07's to 4.10's. But, moving spring and shock mounts was a pain. This longbed model will have brakelines coming out of the REAR of the rear axles brake backing plates. To switch them, you will have to pull out both axle shafts, then disassemble the brakes, then swap backing plates and reassemble in reverse. Not worth the effort. Leave it, or buy it and build it, or buy it and sell it to an MJ enthusiast.

Just my two cents, Jared

triple 4 said:
I have a chance to buy an 86 MJ, The Bad part is it does not run and it has a 2.8 with a AX5 and I think a 207 with a CV joint running to the front i. It has 4 Outlaw 2 rims and the body is stright, I'm thinking about parting it out if I buy it. Althought I do not know if it is going to be worth it. It has a good 8ft bed on it, all the glass is good doors and fenders and the rest of the body except the grill are in good shape. The inside doesn't look to bad, but not to good also. It also has a weird lift on it?? It looks like someone pulled the leaf pack apart and put rubber bushings between the leafs? I think it has a D35 in the rear? Also, it has a thing hanging from the frame that looks like it hooks to the rear diff. What would that be?
Triple 4
Well, of course I'm just thinking of myself, but if you do but it and it has a decent tailgate, I'm in need of one.

Bill

triple 4 said:
Triple 4
Well, of course I'm just thinking of myself, but if you do buy it and it has a decent tailgate, I'm in need of one.

Bill

Back