NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Advanced Fabrication and Engineering
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Advanced Fabrication and Engineering For when your build is going off the charts. Wildly modified vehicles and straight up buggies welcome.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:57
NAXJA Member

Re: the sound of inevitability

Yeah that is phase 3. As soon as I get some wheeling in this fall and recover from the last bit of work.

The front will be narrowed to the edges of the radiator. It will be full width at the back of the stock hood and narrow from there. I have a fiberglass hood sitting at Twisted for this. Will be doing a new stubby bumper, etc. Unsure on lights. I would like to have some kind of headlight and ambers up front.

It also needs some steering work. Thinking hydro but that's another project really.
Old September 4th, 2014, 22:18
NAXJA Member

I spent quite a bit of time trying to make mine look like an XJ, and cut actual skins off a 2 door door and rear quarter. It was a lot of work.

I decided that if I were to do it again, I would just worry about the lower body line joggle, and do flat pannels above that.

People still think mine is a toyota, and one person complimented my suzuki...

The hood used to fit better, and the front fender upper body line used to line up, until a roll over the drivers side of the stinger pushed the header panel down quite a bit. Oh well...

They looked nice at one point.
Nothing in Moderation . . .. . . . .... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . competitor #91 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Ride Racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan C. View Post
As if the program is running with some high level of integrity and only the best of the best win.
Old September 5th, 2014, 08:06
NAXJA Member

Thats exactly what I was thinking. We looked at doing stock panels but really leaning towards just doing the lower line like you suggested, for those reasons. I'm also probably just going to use zip ties. Dsuz are pretty expensive and a couple guys here have had issues with them loosening up and falling out.

Something I hadn't thought of but Jason mention that I could run the stock flares or paint flares on the panels it give it a more 3D look. They painted flares on Hal's Grand and it looked pretty good.

Also I might play with just running the rear skins, sorta of like a jeep with the doors off or shorten the middle panel to only run forward a couple feet for the same type of look.

I hear you on the Toyota look though. Just the way it ends up with the roof gone, lots of similarities to a 4 runner or even a X chassis.

Definetly going to keep them simple.
Old September 8th, 2014, 21:00
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Thats exactly what I was thinking. We looked at doing stock panels but really leaning towards just doing the lower line like you suggested, for those reasons. I'm also probably just going to use zip ties. Dsuz are pretty expensive and a couple guys here have had issues with them loosening up and falling out.

Something I hadn't thought of but Jason mention that I could run the stock flares or paint flares on the panels it give it a more 3D look. They painted flares on Hal's Grand and it looked pretty good.

Also I might play with just running the rear skins, sorta of like a jeep with the doors off or shorten the middle panel to only run forward a couple feet for the same type of look.

I hear you on the Toyota look though. Just the way it ends up with the roof gone, lots of similarities to a 4 runner or even a X chassis.

Definetly going to keep them simple.
I did tabs and pan head 1/4-20 bolts. I tried zip ties, but they broke off to easily. I also didn't want to go with the dzus for the cost - and the pain in the butt to align them when installing them.
Nothing in Moderation . . .. . . . .... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . competitor #91 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Ride Racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan C. View Post
As if the program is running with some high level of integrity and only the best of the best win.
Old September 12th, 2014, 20:05
Got Shafted

I have been using the Hendrix trick tabs: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misce...ab-1-99-a.html.

I also agree with using stock panels, it keeps the jeep look and for me makes it easier to still drive it on the street.

Old September 27th, 2014, 23:33
NAXJA Forum User

What thickness are those boat sides? Any concern of them denting in towards you?
Old September 29th, 2014, 20:55
NAXJA Member

3/16 AR400. Though about it denting at first but not after. I have hardly touched them on anything.
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:05
NAXJA Member

Well I'm glad I didn't spend a ton of time on the skins.

Went down to CO to some friends place for a fun weekend. The duct tape is just from the trailer ride home and last weekend:

Badlands 2 weekends ago resulting of the use of duct tape:

back to CO, finished off the driver's side:

and after a day of super tight canyons like this:

the panels had to be re zip tied multiple times:

So until I either learn to drive better, which is doubtful, I probably won't spend a whole lot of time on body panels.
Old October 12th, 2015, 20:52
NAXJA Member

well after getting some decent wheeling in, I did another round of mods.

This run did in the steering. Bound up bad and just sucked. Stock steering, durango box. So got home and found out all the bolts on the box were loose and what I surprise, cracks in the frame rail! So started to pull the box out and the steering joint fell apart so it's time for hydro steer.
Old October 12th, 2015, 21:12
NAXJA Member

Had some down time at work so I started drawing up a mock up of the system.

So anyways as you can see in the models I ended up installing air shocks. Tie rod got into the coil buckets a ton and the trackbar mount was in the way.

Anyways started with plating the frame rails:

Trackbar mount, you can see the original placement of the shock mounts and used 2.5's for mock up.
Old October 12th, 2015, 21:25
NAXJA Member

everything mocked up into place:

I started with a 2" ram and 8" throw. But I only could use 6.5" with the short stock arms and hitting everything else. So made a spacer for the ram:

Cut a hole for the shocks:

Had these laying in the shop and only a couple days to complete this project so we used them:

brace to help keep movement down:
Old October 12th, 2015, 21:28
NAXJA Member

the end result worked out pretty well. We moved the shocks up on the knuckle to keep them out of the frame.

Old October 12th, 2015, 21:29
NAXJA Member

Everything is going to be tied it together better when I get around to dovetailing the front end. Had to fix a broken brake line this weekend and working on getting the shocks rebuilt, had a couple bad seals.

Orbital is mounted in the stock steering box location, hoses pointing up. I started with the Liquid Iron bracket and welded it in place but the steering column wouldn't reach the orbital. So I ended up having to cut it off and rotating it up slightly and forward.
Old October 13th, 2015, 04:05
NAXJA Member

Nice work on those towers!
Old October 19th, 2015, 08:31
NAXJA Member #2130

sub'd
Buy from sponsors to support those who support our club!
http://sponsorship.naxja.org/

Join ... http://www.naxja.org/html/membership_faq.htm