• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 front Axle sources????

2manyToys

NAXJA Forum User
I searched, and could not find quite what I was looking for.

The lower control arm bracket has been nearly ripped off the axle on the passenger's side. How you ask? Long story short I broke the u-joint on the driver's front, and shattered the spider gears in the rear- Don't ask :(. So while being pulled, no YANKED off the trail I guess this happened.

I was curious what all vehicles I can use the axle out of w/o refabbing the mounts. A guy I know has the axlle from his 90 TJ, and I was hoping that might work. I know this is probably be wishful thinking, but I figured I would ask.

Thanks in advance.

Hit the bone yard and and get a d30 from an xj with the same gear ratio. Unless you want to upgrade to a d44, but then you will be doing some fab work. Do a search and you can get alot more info on this subject. I dont know about the tj d30 but i'm sure someone can answer that.

2manyToys said:

The lower control arm bracket has been nearly ripped off the axle on the passenger's side. How you ask? Long story short I broke the u-joint on the driver's front, and shattered the spider gears in the rear- Don't ask :(. So while being pulled, no YANKED off the trail I guess this happened.

I was curious what all vehicles I can use the axle out of w/o refabbing the mounts. A guy I know has the axlle from his 90 TJ, and I was hoping that might work. I know this is probably be wishful thinking, but I figured I would ask.

Thanks in advance.

The front axle from the TJ will be low pinion, which you probably want to avoid. It leaves you with less lift before the driveshaft binds and less clearance to the front shaft. Most boneyards sell xj hp d30's cheap.

-C

2manyToys said:

Thanks in advance.

A 90 tj? is a yj. tj's are 97 and newer, the brackets are the same but it is a low pinion d30.

BRIANHO13 said:
A 90 tj? is a yj. tj's are 97 and newer, the brackets are the same but it is a low pinion d30.

I didnt catch that. Your right. If its a 90 axle it will be WAY too much work, and a TJ still you dont really want. TJ guys buy our d30's frequently because as we know, XJ parts are better. ;)

goodburbon said:
and dont use the axle as a tow point!
No we used the sway bar. I know dumb, but the was no other option.

Yeah, I know I got confused. It is a yj, and it did have leaf springs sorry.

Back