• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke leaf spring pin at Rausch, axle now slides forward and back

xthejuicex

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. Today I was wheeling at Rausch with CNY Jeep and I broke the leaf spring pin on the left side. Half the pin is still in the pack and the other is gone. The axle moves forward and back along the leaf and rubs against the body. I am wondering what would be the easiest or best way to either replace the pin or put something else there for it. Thanks for any help.

yup, it holds the pack together, once you have the axle on the u bolts do all the holding and the center pin just keeps the axle and leafs in place.

Shouldn't take more then 30 - 45 min to complete.

Might need to take off your lower shock bolt to allow the axle to drop enough down.

You might need to use a screwdriver to align the leafs if they are out of alignment.

and your u-bolts are one time use only, you should replace those as well

yup, it holds the pack together, once you have the axle on the u bolts do all the holding and the center pin just keeps the axle and leafs in place.

Shouldn't take more then 30 - 45 min to complete.

Might need to take off your lower shock bolt to allow the axle to drop enough down.

You might need to use a screwdriver to align the leafs if they are out of alignment.

May take longer since it snapped off and moved, could look like a rust colored swizzler and take much hammering with BFH.
twizzlers.jpg

It is a good idea for people to carry spares of these, I have seen two of them broken on the trail and both were fixed there. If your U bolts are torqued properly this shouldn't happen.

-Alex

i would assume this is from The U-bolts being loose? i have a problem over torque'n them! have yet to have this issue!

Yea the U Bolts should keep it all in place, if they are loose the axle will be able to move around and thus shearing or breaking the center pin. I look at the center pin as only a tool to align the axle in place. The U bolts should be doing all the work.

Back