• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

Sorry for the nighttime photo, but finished this up the other day. Ode to the WW2 generation...and it looks cool.
f96ac4738057283deef78dc0c6e6e797.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Finally replaced that oil filter adapter o-ring set, which wasn't such a big deal. Cleaned up starter brushes, and suspected bad starter is good again. Changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, lubed all the zerks, tightened up t-case shifter linkage bushing. Redoing my rear cargo area shelf to install some sound insulation on the floor and bolt things down better tomorrow.

Greenz, I just had to dig through all my invoices for my insurance company, so I have a bunch of part numbers for what I used on my 8.25 disc swap. Hit me up if any of that could be helpful to you

Greenz, I just had to dig through all my invoices for my insurance company, so I have a bunch of part numbers for what I used on my 8.25 disc swap. Hit me up if any of that could be helpful to you

The C8.25 lubelocker delivered today. Have everything except for passenger side e-brake cable. I don't recall where or what to get that just fits. So that would be helpful. I did pick up a couple of cable clamps to go that route if need be.

What year is your rig? I think the early and late models needed different cables. I used two of these G2 cable, and it was a perfect fit for me. I was able to use the same cable on both sides with no issue, but IIRC, the late models need a different length for the passenger side. The cables I got had the correct end to work with the KJ brake shoe lever too, so no funny business needed to fit there either. They do come in different lengths too, so I think you could find one that would work for you if you need different lengths.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/g2-emergency-brake-cable-95-2049pc5/_/R-FCNB-95-2049PC5

What year is your rig? I think the early and late models needed different cables. I used two of these G2 cable, and it was a perfect fit for me. I was able to use the same cable on both sides with no issue, but IIRC, the late models need a different length for the passenger side. The cables I got had the correct end to work with the KJ brake shoe lever too, so no funny business needed to fit there either. They do come in different lengths too, so I think you could find one that would work for you if you need different lengths.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/g2-emergency-brake-cable-95-2049pc5/_/R-FCNB-95-2049PC5

Mine is an 01 with about 5" lift in the rear. Thanks for the link. I remember reading on the disk swap mod a long time ago and put it off for other things. Well this came up suddenly and I just did the essential research to get up and running again. Really appreciate your help with the cables. Seems to be a lot of different opinions on what to get. This helps narrow it down. :thumbup:

Yeah, of course. The G2 site has a bunch of different length, so i just found the ones that matched as closely to what I needed, then searched for that part number. I got em from 4WheelParts cause I used to have a location like half a mile from my house, so it was easier to pick them up than wait for shipping. I'm sure you could order them anywhere using the G2 part number though.

Found my coolant recovery tank has a small leak in the bottom. When i pulled it looking for a leak i found the previous owner had sealed an old crack with RTV And that repair had failed. Ordered one from Rock Auto.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Got started on the drum to disk conversion.
Out with the old. I knew the right rear wheel cylinder failed and I discovered the left was weeping brake fluid. Had forgotten until going inside the drums, I had replaced the shoes and hardware not too long ago. All the shoes on both sides were oil soaked.

8x75tpQ.jpg

Cleaned off tons of rust left over from the early years when the XJ lived in the Midwest. Bearings looked fine. New seals. Longer backing plate studs from the donor installed.

SRftfDb.jpg

Dust covers were bent from the rough handling in the junk yard. It was easy to straighten. Donor parts looked good not much wear and hardware wasn't rusted out so I reused everything. Oh, grinding the backing plate centers was not fun, took longer than I thought.

YFTowpO.jpg

Tried the original wheel studs with the lug nuts. Three and a half turns was not making me feel very comfortable. Replaced them with Dorman 610-290. They are the only ones with the same knurl diameter with a longer length. Was concerned with the little nub but my acorn security nut fit without bottoming out. Didn't buy the press for this job but it made this swapping the studs easy.

DeK7AlG.jpg

Hope to finish tomorrow.

Thank you Xero. It's good to hear positive remarks on the KJ brakes. Some have said they can't tell a difference. We'll see!

Getting there. Set the disks with nuts to pre adjust the parking brake shoes. Had to do it again later. Oh well. This is how I measured my current nuts on the longer studs.

aOVaV89.jpg

Made my own hose brackets. Found another use for 4 degree shims. lol BTW, I'm getting the swag finger brake. Until then, this janky setup actually worked.

hzuWIG0.jpg

Brackets installed. Not the best setup but everything is secure and out of the way. Plus, now I have two spare lug nuts.

JoqvEP3.jpg

Last picture. It got dark on me so I couldn't get any more. Swapped the proportion valve, tightened two leaks, and finally bled everything. Used the ZJ parking cable on the D side, stock with a clamp on P side. Adjusted parking brakes and went for a ride. They settled in nicely. Brakes are smooth and vibration free. Junkyard rotors, calipers, and pads were just fine. Overall it was a fun project but took longer than I wanted. The weather played nice. Brakes work great. First time I have been able to stand on the brakes and lock up all four tires.

QePHQQG.jpg

Last edited:
I can get you a picture in a few days.

I used the 95 ZJ on drivers side which fits nicely. Passenger side is the stock XJ cable modified with the cable clamp. I don't like the way it looks but it works. Will continue to find a better solution. deesexj sent a link to G2 site but I haven't looked into it yet. This setup is awesome!

Got a set of 33" tires from a co-worker and threw those on and adjusted my shackles to lower the rear end a little to level the Jeep out.
b05839eafa8f5e22cb88e1b9b4580cff.jpg

Then I adjusted the toe inward because it was visually toed out and I was getting some crazy bump steer and it was pulling hard to the right. I dunno if it had always been toed out that bad but I never had any issues with my old 31's. Tape measure method said I was 2" out. Got it within 1/8 inward now. It was my first time doing this do I hope I did it right and it is steering much better now.
b7cdbce46c3841a80c184f9f0775c399.jpg

69e7b3af5c4b8fdfa5c0b04ca16a6f08.jpg

Also replaced my coolant hoses and the resivour again :/ when this one cracks, I will probably swap to an aluminum one. (Original res with just a small leak in pic, new replacement is in the mail)
f3be607817a91a1278d3fafeec52eb27.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Finally got around to installing the ZJ tierod and draglink+new TRE's that I have had sitting around for a year or two. Steering is much tighter now.
f305b30ddcc9743721b43d27a3b7c1bc.jpg

Replaced stereo, rear hatch struts, started working on my rear interior panels again and ordered a Detours knucklebone offset tire carrier. It'll be nice to get the spare out of the back. Also found a lot of rust under the passenger floorboard :/ so that'll need to be addressed eventually.
bbc3da08d82ee9dcde3bb3aec6e90ba3.jpg
355d3442be003d6f7be656d94ef395dd.jpg
5a58da02ef9ca5b6e146e84cf14441c9.jpg
ea00dfbc8922d49f4fc4ab43321a6597.jpg

Back