• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any ideas

mikie2084

NAXJA Forum User
Well I heard the rattle again this morning, so I drove around with my head out the window for an hour. It seems to be coming from the front of the jeep at the motor. I only heard it while I was in second gear going up hill. I have a 98 xj with command trac and auto transmission, could it be the valves? What should I do to fix it? I can do anything outside the engine but not much experience with interior of motors.
mikie

I would suggest first determining exactly where the rattle is coming from. I had a rattle that I thought was valves. But after taking my time and looking around I discovered it was the timing chain rubbing the cover.

yes, the interior of the motor should be your last place to look, look for any loose things in the engine bay, (ie. Fan shrould hitting fan, loose bracket screws) check control arm bolts to make sure their tight.

I stopped looking for rattles and sqeaks in my rig. got tired. If you wheel your rig your not going to keep up with all the noise. So if you wheel the thing dont mind the noise.

"WHATS THAT NOISE??? KEEP WHEELING, YOU'LL FIND OUT.:D"

I DON'T DO ANY HARDCORE WHEELING AS OF NOW. SAVING MONEY TO GET MY LIFT, I'M ON A WAL-MART BUDGET RIGHT NOW SO I DON'T NEED ANYTHING FALLING APART.

aside form the obvious things that can fall off and rattle....it could be the engine knocking under load up the hill or it could also be the rear (tranny) mount. I don't know about the '98 but my '89 rear mount compressed and allowed the exaust to rattle intermittently.

Good luck,
Jay in MA

Back